Does Anyone Else Not Like the Replay Addition?

Old#5fan

Yes, but the change has to be viewed as a scale where you have getting the call right on one side and disrupting the flow of the game, causing extra warm up pitches for the pitcher, extending the time of the game, and removing the manager getting thrown out on the other side of the scale.

I personally liked it better the way it was before, except under very limited circumstances, i.e. fan interference, home run calls, and possibly plays at the plate.

Again, I disagree that the current rules extend the game anymore than the arguing did.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is fair. I miss the arguments as well. It does take away from the experience as we have

known it. I miss a lot of things that have changed, but most of them are for the better. I think that's the case here, but respect your opinion.

Good points guys! On Friday when Farrell won the challenge (fairly), my knee-jerk was expecting Buck to storm out to challenge. He had no leg to stand on....but it did save some time and detract from the theatrics and spontaneity. That's why Ross' "beef" yesterday brought some life to the listless affair.

You know Earl would have still made a fuss. He was theater of the absurd.
Nothing absurd about Earl's tirades. He did it for two reasons, to protect his players and to intimidate umpires into giving his team close calls, just to avoid having to be made to look a fool by Earl in front of 40 thousand people. It worked on both counts.

Oh, I see, it upsets the "flow" of the game.

Because pitchers working at the speed of slow doesn't do that. Because batters stepping out after every pitch, fiddling with their body armor and adjusting their jerseys and their bling doesn't do that. Because batters calling time when they feel the pitcher is stalling doesn't do that. Because tacked on additions to between innings observances on particular days doesn't do that.

There's plenty of stuff you "accept" as part of your perceived "flow" of the game, but it's all arbitrary. Baseball has been, and always will be, a game played at a leisurely pace. God forbid we add on to some of that leisure in an attempt TO MAKE PLAY MORE FAIR!

Nothing absurd about Earl's tirades. He did it for two reasons, to protect his players and to intimidate umpires into giving his team close calls, just to avoid having to be made to look a fool by Earl in front of 40 thousand people. It worked on both counts.

The infamous video after the Mike Flanagan balk call (you guys are just here to *bleep* us!) would stand to disprove your second reason worked. That ump gave exactly zero craps about Earl and his "intimidation." I agree wholeheartedly that he used it to protect his players (and possibly to fire them up), but let's not pretend that umps actually got scared of Earl. They kinda saw him as a mosquito.

Yeah, that's right. I'd rather they get the play wrong. This is a change that goes to the very soul of the sport. If you don't like it, watch football. They are great at standing around and obsessing over every call.

We lose sight of the fact that this is just a game. It's a social activity, there for our enjoyment. We aren't curing cancer here. If we get all the calls perfectly right it really doesn't make the world a better place.

The world is a pretty crappy place and getting worse. That's why I like to stay inside my little world of baseball and ignore it. I tried to change it in the 60's but those days are long gone. So replay makes my world a much better place.

The infamous video after the Mike Flanagan balk call (you guys are just here to *bleep* us!) would stand to disprove your second reason worked. That ump gave exactly zero craps about Earl and his "intimidation." I agree wholeheartedly that he used it to protect his players (and possibly to fire them up), but let's not pretend that umps actually got scared of Earl. They kinda saw him as a mosquito.
It doesn't work for the given call, but I have heard a number of umpires interviewed about Earl, and they all said they hated to see him coming out of the dugout. You've got to think Earl knew that. I have no doubt some umps just gave Earl a call to avoid having to deal with him. Earl used the same technique to get his players to do what he wanted.

Because pitchers working at the speed of slow doesn't do that. Because batters stepping out after every pitch, fiddling with their body armor and adjusting their jerseys and their bling doesn't do that. Because batters calling time when they feel the pitcher is stalling doesn't do that. Because tacked on additions to between innings observances on particular days doesn't do that.

There's plenty of stuff you "accept" as part of your perceived "flow" of the game, but it's all arbitrary. Baseball has been, and always will be, a game played at a leisurely pace. God forbid we add on to some of that leisure in an attempt TO MAKE PLAY MORE FAIR!

For the first time in baseball history, decisions about plays that are happening in the game are being made somewhere other than on the field of play. The sight of umpires standing around with headsets on, listening to some bureaucrat describe the play they just saw from an office hundreds of miles away, makes my blood boil.

The problem with '96 was not that there was no instant replay. The problem is that the umpire made one of the worst calls in baseball history, a call so terrible that almost everyone in the park and watching on tv could see that he'd screwed it up. But yes, I'd rather live with Jeffrey Maier then watch the entire sport fall into this bureaucratic morass.

I agree with you a hundred percent. Who cares about replaying a call in the first inning whether a runner is safe or out by a nanosecond? To stop the game for that is about the most absurd thing ever introduced int this great game. In fact, the human element of dealing with close calls that could go either way by an umpire is part of the beauty of the game.

This getting every call absolutely correct is plain flat out STUPID goal in my estimation, as that has never been the case since the game began. Eventually, they will just play this game with robots for umpires or some other stupid ploy. Again, I could see it in playoffs or WS games but even then only on a very limited basis.

It doesn't work for the given call, but I have heard a number of umpires interviewed about Earl, and they all said they hated to see him coming out of the dugout. You've got to think Earl knew that. I have no doubt some umps just gave Earl a call to avoid having to deal with him. Earl used the same technique to get his players to do what he wanted.

I got the impression that they hated to see him not because they were scared or intimidated, but because he was an annoying little pain in their ass. And while you don't doubt that umps gave Earl a call here and there, I also don't doubt that some umps did the exact opposite because they hated him.

I believe the rule is a max of 12 seconds between pitches, and the batter must keep one foot in the batters box at all times. Flow of the game. Yeah that's the ticket. :rofl::smile11::laughlol:

Well he did get one of them banned from umping O's games for a year.

For the first time in baseball history, decisions about plays that are happening in the game are being made somewhere other than on the field of play. The sight of umpires standing around with headsets on, listening to some bureaucrat describe the play they just saw from an office hundreds of miles away, makes my blood boil.

Now, see, THAT, I can understand. Having the call made elsewhere, off the actual field of play, that's a point I can relate with. Which is why I think the system needs a lot of tinkering, one of which is keeping the decision ultimately with the crew on the field who's been watching the entire game as close as they can. But to handcuff that crew by denying them access to the many MANY different camera views available when they only get the one view each (and with "he's out of position" being a common lament about blown calls?)? I can't get behind that.

I believe the rule is a max of 12 seconds between pitches, and the batter must keep one foot in the batters box at all times. Flow of the game. Yeah that's the ticket. :rofl::smile11::laughlol:

That's actually a rule? Because it sure as hell ain't being enforced.

Archived