How does Hunter not get tossed?

mcneck

There, Hunter was talking specifically about when Norris was going into the dugout. At that point, I don't believer Hunter said anything, but Norris turned and said some things to Hunter. It was the exact reverse of what happened immediately after the HBP.

Who cares what he was specifically talking about? It still paints him as hypocritical at best. It completely discounts the fact that he was jawing like crazy in the first place. Hence, revisionist history. "Oh, it's okay if I yell at him, but when he does it to me he's picking on the old guy." He was instigating, big time. And considering he didn't get ejected or penalized on field, it worked.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ehh, I think Buck provided reasonable perspective on this. The feelings on both sides are understandable. Whether Norris meant to hit him or not, it's not fun being hit in the ribs with a 94 mph fastball and the circumstances (command/game etc.) are suspect to say the least.

Jerk like that couldn't have played during Bob Gibson's day. I am sure it hurts to

be hit damn don't act like an asshole about it. And no I wouldn't hit him again.

Not the way umpires toss the pitcher now days.

Like the way Norris is. Good pitcher that takes no crap from anyone.

The HBP rate today is way higher than the 1960s.

Phooey! It's baseball. Not some damn sissy sport. Baseball was better in the

1960's.

I'm sure there were folks who lamented the sissification of baseball in the early 1900s. In 1895 you could get in an actual fistfight with the other team and the ump and spike the ump through his shoes and you probably wouldn't even get suspended.

My stance is that if you want to see grown men play-fighting and throwing crap at each other that's why they make the WWE. Metal chairs being tossed by dudes who order steroids by the gross are way more fun than baseballs thrown by 6', 200 lb ballplayers.

I like Bud and I'm glad he plays with fire.

That said, if Davis or Nick or Jonesie gets a broken hand out of retaliation tonight, then this won't be so much fun.

THAT said, those of you trying to impose rules to end this, why? Not like these incidents happen often. Let the guys fight. When that Gomez cat acted like an ass after his homer last year, and McCann got in his face and didn't let him score, that was some classic stuff right there. I like some fire every now and again.

Also, since I'll be at the game tonight, I wouldn't mind seeing round two tonight, but I don't expect anything, unless the game gets out of hand, which I doubt. The Birds have played close games all year.

Why let the guys fight?

This is baseball not hockey.

I understand that tempers may flare after a guy is plunked or after a collision. However, there is really no reason for benches and bullpens to empty. This just creates a more difficult situation to control.

Gomez was definitely bush, but I don't think McCann's actions were classic. Gomez hit the homer and talked trash. The classic move IMO would be to let him score, strike his ass out the next time up, and tell him to sit down like the clown that he is.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Nothing wrong with pitching inside. He wasn't throwing at Hunter. Hunter was crowding the plate and Norris had lost his command not his head.

Again, he wasn't just pitching inside - he was brushing him back - at minimum. You're rationalizing if you're implying Hunter wasn't at fault.

I agree that Hunter was crowding the plate. Both were asking for trouble and both got it.

I'm sure there were folks who lamented the sissification of baseball in the early 1900s. In 1895 you could get in an actual fistfight with the other team and the ump and spike the ump through his shoes and you probably wouldn't even get suspended.

My stance is that if you want to see grown men play-fighting and throwing crap at each other that's why they make the WWE. Metal chairs being tossed by dudes who order steroids by the gross are way more fun than baseballs thrown by 6', 200 lb ballplayers.

Off topic, but since you brought it up, the WWE now has a lot of guys around 6' 200 lbs (the champ is about 5'8 maybe 200 lbs), and they've banned hitting people in the head with chairs. It's not your grandmother's WWE anymore.

Don't forget before that, even, when plugging (throwing the ball at a baserunner for an out) was legal. Oh, and no one had a glove.

Off topic, but since you brought it up, the WWE now has a lot of guys around 6' 200 lbs (the champ is about 5'8 maybe 200 lbs), and they've banned hitting people in the head with chairs. It's not your grandmother's WWE anymore.

Huh, haven't watched in a long time. I'm not sure I see the point of fake fights if the guys and storylines aren't cartoonish. But I was raised on Bam Bam Bigelow and Superfly Snukka and Macho Man and the like.

Don't forget before that, even, when plugging (throwing the ball at a baserunner for an out) was legal. Oh, and no one had a glove.

Dickey Pearce might have been 5' 3" but he was a real man, no glove, dodging balls thrown at him, slugging it out with umps, jumping from one team to another whenever he felt like it, and staying in shady hotels and flophouses because ballplayers were one notch above pimps and horse thieves. Not entirely sure the modern $9B baseball industry wants their sport to return to its unsavory roots. Young men who spend a little too much of their disposable income at GNC probably don't make up the majority of that $9B.

Maybe because we have guys with body armor hanging over the plate like they own it.

Yeah, and back then guys didn't act like cry babies when they were hit by a pitch either. I don't recall Frank Robinson ever doing anything but trotting down to first base and he crowded the plate as close as anyone, and was usually of the most hit batters in the league.

Yeah, and back then guys didn't act like cry babies when they were hit by a pitch either. I don't recall Frank Robinson ever doing anything but trotting down to first base and he crowded the plate as close as anyone, and was usually of the most hit batters in the league.

I could find you dozens, maybe hundreds of cases of brawls, or at least fake baseball brawls prior to 1970 or 1980. Juan Marichal took a bat to the mound and pounded somebody during Frank's career.

Archived