Cubs and A's pull off a huge trade. (Russell, McKinney Straily for Samardzija, Hammel.

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Cubs/A's deal official. Samardzija and Hammel for Russell, McKinney, Straily, PTBNL. Analysis to follow on ESPN Insider.</p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="

">July 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Full trade what from the O's matches this?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gray

Kazmir

Samardzija

Hammel

Chavez/Milone

Is pretty good. I think Hammel will have an ERA closer to 4 though and Samardzija will probably pitch more like he has the last 2 years. I think the A's go down I the playoffs early again.

Detroit whipping them this week must have got Billy Beanes attention. They received a couple of good starters, but gave up a lot in the process.

Chicago could easily deal Castro for a pretty good haul. Two years in a row where they have hit on starting pitching with small deals.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Will be interesting to see how Cubs end up positioning Baez Bryant Castro and Russell going forward <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cubs?src=hash">#Cubs</a></p>— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) <a href="

@ProfessorParks: Addison Russell will rank #6 overall on the upcoming #BPTop50. That would give the #Cubs the #3, #5, #6, and #18 best prospects in MiLB.

Na. That's not Billy. Besides, the ten year lease changes everything for the As money this year. They were counting on a windfall in two years an were spending that revenue.

Jay Jaffe @jay_jaffe

Surprised by this A's/Cubs deal but by getting both Samardzija & Hammel they shrink the upgrade market for other contenders

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Cubs/A's deal official. Samardzija and Hammel for Russell, McKinney, Straily, PTBNL. Analysis to follow on ESPN Insider.</p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="

Full trade what from the O's matches this?

Russell and McKinney were BA top 2 athletics prospects. Russell #14 overall

Hard to compare position players to pitchers but I'd think it'd be like Bundy, ed-rod and a guy like hunter

Russell and McKinney were BA top 2 athletics prospects. Russell #14 overall

Hard to compare position players to pitchers but I'd think it'd be like Bundy, ed-rod and a guy like hunter

Agreed. It's hard to separate Samardzija's value alone, though.

Shows Oakland is going for it this year, and mortgaging their future. They won't re-sign Hammel or Samardzja, they will end up having to trade Samardzja next season, and they won't get near the return they gave up. If Oakland doesn't win the WS, this is a big fail trade. The Cubs pillaged them. Expect regression from both pitchers in the AL.

Archived