Orioles will be watching Ian Kennedy tonight.

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pirates?src=hash">#Pirates</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash">#Royals</a> among teams that scouted <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Padres?src=hash">#Padres</a>’ Kennedy last night. Pirates looking for SP and RP. Royals keeping all options open.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">July 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kennedy had a mediocre start last night, and his ERA now is 3.62. But even before last night his ERA was higher than his team's ERA--and the Padres are not exactly a good team. Petco is one of the most extreme pitcher's parks in the majors. The Padres' team ERA is currently 3.20 but their team batting average is .214.

I just think this is a bad idea. Ian Kennedy is no ace and there is no point in this team trading for a starting pitcher unless he is a significant upgrade on what we have.

According to industry sources, Baltimore has dangled right-hander Miguel Gonzalez in potential trade talks with at least three clubs, including San Diego, with the thinking that the Orioles could potentially land a starter in return. One interesting name that has come up in preliminary talks is Padres starter Ian Kennedy. Kennedy's stock has never been higher as he?s pitched to a 3.26 ERA in 21 games and he's under team control - as an arbitration eligible - in 2015.
“He’s brought up one player’s name to me,” Showalter said of Duquette’s conversations with him regarding trade possibilities. “But I know, I think Dan is in tune and wired to everything that may be out there. And more importantly the cost to get it. What price? not only financially but what we look at is what it takes away from us. Not only here but below. Everybody’s price right now compared to what it would be two hours beforehand. [Now], it’s like “we would never do that.” Two hours before the deadline, it’s “Oh, we did do that.” There’s a bit of poker being played. I don’t dwell on it to much because I like our people and I don’t like, I know Dan doesn’t either, giving someone away that fits where we are and where we are going.”
source - Britt

Dealing Gonzo is a calculated risk to take because of depth to a lot of folks, but a risk you likely have to take to improve the club's chance this year. I'm not surprised he is on the block.

I have no feeling about Kennedy's potential contribution to our team but I guess he's supposed to be a very good option to the rotation.

If you are going to deal Gonzo, doing it for a pitcher is a way to hedge your bets if depth is a chief concern.

I would love to get Kennedy. Both Norris and Gonzalez are plenty expendable for him, given he'd be replacing one with Ubaldo sending the other to the pen.

Losing Norris would sting a bit more to me. His pluck has really grown on me.

And without Bud, who would tell us all if contact was a fly ball or not?

Miguel Gonzalez isn't a free agent until 2018. He's making $500k. Career 3.69 ERA. 111 ERA+. Been pretty reliable. Pitching in Camden Yards. I guess Duquette isn't a huge fan of his increasing H/9, HR/9, and FIP.

Ian Kennedy is pitching in a pitcher's park. Has since 2013. From 2012 until now: 4.23 ERA. 90 ERA+. Averages 6 IP. FIP of 3.97. He is a better K pitcher. Similar walk rate. Similar hit rate. Free agent in 2016. Making $6m this year. Will probably make $8m or so next year.

I guess I just don't understand this move.

If we can trade for Kennedy with Miguel as the centerpiece... I'm not even sure why SD would do that, but okay. Sounds good to me. Kennedy's taken a step forward this year while MGon was always the most likely candidate to leave the rotation.

If we can trade for Kennedy with Miguel as the centerpiece... I'm not even sure why SD would do that, but okay. Sounds good to me. Kennedy's taken a step forward this year while MGon was always the most likely candidate to leave the rotation.

They would save money. Capture team control. And avoid Scott Boras.

Archived