Orioles will be watching Ian Kennedy tonight.

Greg

Meh. He's having a nice season but what about those 4 prior? 4.00 +ERA, inflated whip, high BB%. Career average ERA 3.98. Just looks like more of the same to me.

His ERA since 2010 is 3.80. That's including an awful 2013. Without that season it's 3.53. His strikeouts are up as are his ground balls. Jason Hammel in 2012 is the only Oriole starter since 2012 to have a WAR in a single season that is higher than the WAR Ian Kennedy put up in his 2nd worst (full) season. He is also the only Orioles starter since 2012 that has had better peripheals than Kennedy's career peripheals.

I threw this out there earlier and I'll do it again. His numbers since 2010 are very similar to 2013 (the good) Chris Tillman, but with a better K rate and better FIP/xFIP. They throw the same pitches (FB, CT, CH, CB) virtually the same percentage of the time and have similar velocities on each of their pitches (Kennedy is ~1.5 MPH faster on each pitch).

If this team could trade for 2013 Chris Tillman in the 2nd half I'm sure every single poster here would. And Kennedy has shown he can actually be a lot better than that too (2011 and 2014).

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His ERA since 2010 is 3.80. That's including an awful 2013. Without that season it's 3.53. His strikeouts are up as are his ground balls. Jason Hammel in 2012 is the only Oriole starter since 2012 to have a WAR in a single season that is higher than the WAR Ian Kennedy put up in his 2nd worst (full) season. He is also the only Orioles starter since 2012 that has had better peripheals than Kennedy's career peripheals.

I threw this out there earlier and I'll do it again. His numbers since 2010 are very similar to 2013 (the good) Chris Tillman, but with a better K rate and better FIP/xFIP. They throw the same pitches (FB, CT, CH, CB) virtually the same percentage of the time and have similar velocities on each of their pitches (Kennedy is ~1.5 MPH faster on each pitch).

If this team could trade for 2013 Chris Tillman in the 2nd half I'm sure every single poster here would. And Kennedy has shown he can actually be a lot better than that too (2011 and 2014).

Do you know what went wrong with him in 2013?

Walks were up ~1.2 per 9 innings from where he's been in 11-12 and this season. HR/FB% was over 13% (career average is under 10%). BABIP was a bit higher than his career average. His xFIP and SIERA weren't too bad (4.19 and 4.09). Looks like he threw less fastball and curve balls and more change ups and cutters. Looks like he's cut down on the change ups and cutters a bit this season as his fastballs percentage is up a bit and he's using his curve a lot more.

Walks were up ~1.2 per 9 innings from where he's been in 11-12 and this season. HR/FB% was over 13% (career average is under 10%). BABIP was a bit higher than his career average. His xFIP and SIERA weren't too bad (4.19 and 4.09). Looks like he threw less fastball and curve balls and more change ups and cutters. Looks like he's cut down on the change ups and cutters a bit this season as his fastballs percentage is up a bit and he's using his curve a lot more.

I thought that he figured it out in 2011. Maybe he is healthier?

I thought that he figured it out in 2011. Maybe he is healthier?

Not sure. Last season walks killed him. With a bb/9 rate of 2.3, which is around where it's been the past 4 years (besides last season) his WHIP goes from 1.39 to 1.25. The very high HR/FB% also hurt him. But he did have the highest k rate in his career last year, at least before this season.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/padres-notes-kennedy-street-management.html

Ian Kennedy is perhaps the Padres’ biggest trade chip, yet the team isn’t eager to deal the right-hander, Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes. Kennedy has pitched well (3.72 ERA, 3.19 K/BB, 9.3 K/9 in 181 2/3 IP) since coming to the Friars last season and the club still has him under control through the 2015 campaign. “Unless an offer blows them away, the Padres’ owners, eager to contend, may be compensating Kennedy handsomely in 2015,” Lin notes, as Kennedy has one more season of arbitration eligibility remaining and will earn a nice raise over his current $6.1MM salary. FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported yesterday that the Orioles had been scouting Kennedy.

If it's going to take a huge deal I'm not sure I want any part of it. Seeing as the only offers that would blow them away would probably involve players that can help us this season anyway. Don't want to lose Bundy.

It seems the O's are in a no win situation. Go out and get a good pitcher (IMO Kennedy qualifies as such) that can get them to the promise land. Give up some solid prospects and they get ripped for selling away the future. Go out and get a mediocre arm (aka Feldman) and they get ripped for not doing enough to give this team a real chance at making it to the WS.

It seems the O's are in a no win situation. Go out and get a good pitcher (IMO Kennedy qualifies as such) that can get them to the promise land. Give up some solid prospects and they get ripped for selling away the future. Go out and get a mediocre arm (aka Feldman) and they get ripped for not doing enough to give this team a real chance at making it to the WS.

Agreed, but that's why front offices shouldn't read the papers. Someone is always going to complain no matter what they do. I'm content as long as they have a plan and they make intelligent decisions according to that plan.

It isn't really selling away the future unless Harvey is involved. Selling Gausman/Bundy means selling guys that could be better than Kennedy very soon. Anyone less than those three pitchers -- ERod, Berry, the catchers -- aren't really good enough prospects yet to pin the future on. The problem is that the O's still don't have much farm talent to trade to make the deal worth it.

Kennedy is pretty much Feldman.

Agreed, but that's why front offices shouldn't read the papers. Someone is always going to complain no matter what they do. I'm content as long as they have a plan and they make intelligent decisions according to that plan.

Dan Duquette does not care what they write about him. Dan Duquette does not care what we say about him.

Archived