Orioles will be watching Ian Kennedy tonight.

Greg

They would save money. Capture team control. And avoid Scott Boras.

Yes, good reasons to trade Kennedy. Not good reasons to trade Kennedy for a worse, older pitcher. Trades don't happen in a two-team vacuum; other teams are going to be willing to trade more than a package built around a 30 year old #4.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kennedy had a mediocre start last night, and his ERA now is 3.62. But even before last night his ERA was higher than his team's ERA--and the Padres are not exactly a good team. Petco is one of the most extreme pitcher's parks in the majors. The Padres' team ERA is currently 3.20 but their team batting average is .214.

I just think this is a bad idea. Ian Kennedy is no ace and there is no point in this team trading for a starting pitcher unless he is a significant upgrade on what we have.

I understand the PETCO factor, but the fact his ERA is higher than the Padres' team ERA doesn't really say much about his ability. Dig a little deeper and you'll see the Padres have the second best bullpen ERA in the Majors which is driving down their team ERA.

Yes, good reasons to trade Kennedy. Not good reasons to trade Kennedy for a worse, older pitcher. Trades don't happen in a two-team vacuum; other teams are going to be willing to trade more than a package built around a 30 year old #4.

You act like Kennedy is the prized #1 we are looking for! Fact is he's not much better than Gonzalez. He's a high 3era pitcher with a 1.26 whip that averages 6ip. Gonzalez sports a better era in a pitchers park and is averaging one less out. His a WHIP is out of whack a little this year at 1.44 but his career numbers is right around Kennedy's 1.26. Honestly he's not much of an upgrade and if the Orioles traded 1 for 1 they'd be losers since the player control and Boras factor. Not too mention again that Kennedy will likely be worse at Camden as a home park.

You act like Kennedy is the prized #1 we are looking for! Fact is he's not much better than Gonzalez. He's a high 3era pitcher with a 1.26 whip that averages 6ip. Gonzalez sports a better era in a pitchers park and is averaging one less out. His a WHIP is out of whack a little this year at 1.44 but his career numbers is right around Kennedy's 1.26. Honestly he's not much of an upgrade and if the Orioles traded 1 for 1 they'd be losers since the player control and Boras factor. Not too mention again that Kennedy will likely be worse at Camden as a home park.

Gonzalez and a prospect or two would be a nice return for the Padres.

I don't see where Kennedy is an upgrade to Gonzo. Unless there are some other issues with Miguel and Buck/Dan, this move would make little sense to me.

Over a k per inning. Left handed. Low WHIP.

He's an upgrade this year.

I'd say Kennedy would be an upgrade, not sure exactly how much of an upgrade he would be, but acquiring him would be an improvement over Gonzalez.

My big thing with Gonzalez is that I feel he is a bit of an overachiever and the league has been catching up with him since he broke through in 2012.

If it weren't for his last 2 games in which he went 8 innings a piece, more people would see Kennedy as an upgrade. My interest is whether or not these last 2 outings are a sign that he has turned the corner for this year and will continue to be be effective or will he regress back to the mid 4ERA pitcher he was for most of the season.

If he is mid 4 ERA Gonzalez, I like a trade involving Gonzalez and Kennedy, however, if he is back to "Cold Killer" Gonzalez, I think best case scenario is that they will produce similarly, but the variables such as park factor and a new emotional and mental environment really work against the upside of acquiring Kennedy IMO.

Except that he's taken a huge step forward with his peripherals this year, has the highest BABIP of his career, has a 2.98/3.24/3.21 FIP/xFIP/SIERA, and has added 2 MPH to his fastball. There's a GM out there -- plenty of GMs out there -- who care about more than just ERA and are willing to pay for his peripherals. I hope we're wrong but we'll be outbid if MGon's the biggest chip we're trading.

The point of the trade wouldn't be an upgrade in the SP. Gonzo will be in the pen when Ubaldo comes back even though he has pitched better than Ubaldo. $$$. The point would be to get a RP arm like Benoit while keeping your SP depth by adding Kennedy.

No doubt

Consider this also... Gonzo's FIP 5.25 Gonzo benefits immensely from our outstanding team defense.

Ian Kennedy FIP 2.98 .... Kennedy also put up good numbers at times in Arizona which is hardly a pitchers park. Kennedy is superior to Gonzo plain and simple

No doubt

Consider this also... Gonzo's FIP 5.25 Gonzo benefits immensely from our outstanding team defense.

Ian Kennedy FIP 2.98 .... Kennedy also put up good numbers at times in Arizona which is hardly a pitchers park. Kennedy is superior to Gonzo plain and simple

Not superior. Not an upgrade. Kennedy has an ERA+ of 95. Miggy is at 97. Kennedy is benefitting greatly from Petco.

It looks like FIP is way too impressed with his strikeouts.

Archived