Was ERod too much for Andrew Miller

isestrex

ERod for Miller  

224 members have voted

1. 1. ERod for Miller

• It's a steal
    • I'm fine with that price but I'll miss him.
    • Too much: worried about only 2 months of Miller vs a long career of ERod

This was way too much for Miller. Rodriguez, even with his mixed results this year, is a very nice prospect. Two months of a reliever doesn't come close. Similar to and even worse than Delmonico-for-KRod.

What does Rodriguez project as? Starter, closer, reliever?

If he is any worse than a projected No. 2 starter, this was not much of a loss at all. They grow No. 3 starters on trees in the draft. And we are looking good with starting pitching for the next few years.

Yes. That is what I said. Thanks for clarifying.

And my point was, making trades just to say you made a trade doesn't necessarily improve the team.

There were only a few SP's, 2nd basemen and catchers out there that would be a improvement. Some/most of them are on playoff teams and won't be traded. So the few players who would actually help US, is the cost worth the upgrade? You seem to think that every trade is an improvement, regardless of the cost. Which is incorrect IMO!

Google Glenn Davis traded to Orioles for an example of a trade that didn't improve a team and actually set it back for many years because of the players lost.

Easy one, the cost to acquire him. Bundy/Harvey/Gausman + is too much!

We will see what you say when Bundy is getting a second TJ surgery.

But Hunter Harvey might have got us Price on his own before his injury. And one prospect for a Cy Young award winner with a full year of control is a win to me when you are giving up an unknown.

Who knows what Harvey will bring to this team. Right now I see our twootop prospects recovering from injuries. let me get my sunglasses :cool:. FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT.

But Hunter Harvey might have got us Price on his own before his injury. And one prospect for a Cy Young award winner with a full year of control is a win to me when you are giving up an unknown.

Who knows what Harvey will bring to this team. Right now I see our twootop prospects recovering from injuries. let me get my sunglasses :cool:. FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT.

Glad you're not our GM. You would have traded our entire minor leagues.

Glad you're not our GM. You would have traded our entire minor leagues.

Haha. All I wanted was one of those three pitchers that got dealt. It wouldn't have took the whole farm.

Also look back at my one post on page 7. Other than Machado and wieters, none of our picks In the past five years amounted to anything anyway.

Haha. All I wanted was one of those three pitchers that got dealt. It wouldn't have took the whole farm.

Also look back at my one post on page 7. Other than Machado and wieters, none of our picks In the past five years amounted to anything anyway.

So your logic is, because other prospects haven't made it all our future prospects won't make it so we should trade them before other teams realize they suck.

Dwight-Schrute-Shakes-Head-and-Rolls-Eyes.gif

Edited by mark_beckens

How do you know Price isn't one pitch away from TJ himself, there is a lot of wear and tear in his arm?

Hunter Harvey would not have gotten Lackey, Let alone Price.

One thing not mentioned is that a lot of teams wanted Miller and they chose

Rodriguez.

Dan said that. He said he was not worried about losing . Except Miller because the Red Sox wanted Eduardo. I expect him to be good. And I expect that we will regret this day many times. I hope Miller helps us win several games this season because Eduardo would not have.

What does Rodriguez project as? Starter, closer, reliever?

If he is any worse than a projected No. 2 starter, this was not much of a loss at all. They grow No. 3 starters on trees in the draft. And we are looking good with starting pitching for the next few years.

What? They grow #3 starters on trees? Then why does a 2-WAR average starter command $10M a year for 2, 3, 4 years in free agency? If the Orioles thought it was a near-lock that Rodriguez was going to be a mid-rotation starter they certainly wouldn't have done this deal. To replace six years of a 2-win starter on the free agent market you'd have to spend about $70M, while Rodriguez will cost maybe $12-15M before he hits free agency. Two months of Miller might be worth $5M if he's great.

That this trade happened tells me Duquette thinks Rodriguez is most likely to become a reliever worth 0.5 a win a year. He'll still technically lose the trade unless Miller is a really key piece to a Championship run, but it won't be an ugly loss. It'll be 3 or 4 wins to 1, instead of 8 or 12 to 1 if he turns into Bud Norris or something.

On all the other pitchers, the deals started with Gausman. We did not have the MLB ready talent that was required and Schoop was not of value. Look at who was dealt. These were not A ball projects. They were real dudes. Except for the Price sweetener. Most all the players were major leaguers.

If you are running with the assumption that all Oriole prospects will eventually suck and should be traded for established players, how do you deal with the fact that the O's payroll will exceed their budget in, oh, about 45 seconds? Hold bake sales? Regular fire sales? Blackmail the Angelos family until they agree to pretend the team can support a much higher payroll?