Brian Gonzales tearing it up.

WV O's

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Per <a href="https://twitter.com/IronBirdsPR">@IronBirdsPR</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> '14 3rd rd pick LHP Brian Gonzalez called up to Aberdeen and will make the start tonight at 7:05 p.m. at HV.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">August 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t488&gid=2014_09_01_hvrasx_abeasx_1&cid=488&t=g_box

Touched up a little in his finale, but nice start to his pro career overall.

Brian Gonzalez

IP 4.0 Hits-6 ER-3 BB-2 K's-5 0-HR ERA 5.00

It will be interesting to see if he breaks camp with Delmarva next spring, or whether the O's prefer to let him develop at Aberdeen first. He didn't dominate in his two Aberdeen starts, though you have to like 11 K's and 2 BB in 9 IP.

It will be interesting to see if he breaks camp with Delmarva next spring, or whether the O's prefer to let him develop at Aberdeen first. He didn't dominate in his two Aberdeen starts, though you have to like 11 K's and 2 BB in 9 IP.

I think you give him a crack at Delmarva. If it's too much, he goes to Aberdeen when they open.

Otherwise he'd do what, stay in Sarasota at extended ST?

I think you give him a crack at Delmarva. If it's too much, he goes to Aberdeen when they open.

Otherwise he'd do what, stay in Sarasota at extended ST?

I think the odds are pretty decent he'll start at Delmarva. We need to keep in mind that he's a third-round pick, not a first rounder. Even though he was the highest pick we had this year and had a successful GCL debut, I don't think there should be any pressure to push him. Britton, I recall, was a no. 3 pick and spent the following year at Aberdeen, not Delmarva. (Britton's Appy League debut wasn't as impressive as what Gonzalez did in the GCL, but then again, the Appy League is considered a better league than the GCL.)

IIRC, Britton was a top 75 prospect when drafted who was a bit of a late bloomer with the velo (which I like because it implies less wear on a HS arm) in the months before the draft. Britton's Baseball America pre-draft write-up IMO represented a player with a very good chance to make the majors and I was hoping the Os would draft him.

Gonzalez appears to be a lesser known prospect per BA - not that that matters. In the small sample size of his performance, there are signs that BG has sufficient command to warrant starting at Delmarva. These early results hint at a player with a good chance of becoming a plus prospect on his way to justifying, if not out-performing, his draft position.

Archived