J.J. Hardy would like to stay, but 'everything changes' in free agency

wildcard

The thing that confuses me is that at Fanfest, Duquette threw cold water on any hopes that he was going to resume long-term talks with Wieters or Davis, but made it very clear that he was planning to discuss an extension with Hardy. Here's what I posted at Fanfest:

TonyS also reported Dan had said the same thing to a Delmarva newspaper the week before Fanfest.

Duquette could have just stayed silent on Hardy, but he went out of his way to say they were going to talk with him about an extension, and then it seems there was little or no follow-up. Very puzzling.

This was before Hardy started having the occasional back spasms. I think his injuries this year and lack of power has changed DD's plans on Hardy from a 3/40 type deal to a 3/20 type deal, and that's why talks have stalled. IMO.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before Manny's injury' date=' I think we would have been in a better bargaining position. Now, I don't think I want Manny off of 3B. But if JJ does sign with someone else we could put Manny at SS whenever he's healthy, have Davis/Flaherty/Paredes/Johnson at 3B with Pearce/Davis at 1B. We pick up Nick's option, Jones in CF, De Aza in LF with Lough at 4th OF and maybe resign Young. Weiters comes back and helps the DH spot. This is 2015 of course and not further down the road.[/quote']

By chance have you noticed how poor our defense has become since we lost Manny at third? Your plan would make us a bad defensive infield, and we are seeing what bad defense does to this team.

One thing we know for sure is that DD is sharp and on top of this. We could (and most likely will) let some of these guys walk in the next couple years get a few nice high comp picks retool the ranks and replace the value. Sure we may lose some net defense or offense either way you go, but I really think we're missing the idea that Manny can most likely be an equal or better SS at some point. I think of the 5 guys up for FA in the next two offseasons we only bring back 3. My guess Davis, Cruz and Markakis.

Manny can't even go a year without knee surgery.

I think it will be the years that entice him to leave.

The O's will no doubt give him a qualifying offer. They probably will go 13M per year on a multi year contract. But they will probably bulk at 4 years. Hardy's 32-35 years. Middle 30's with a history of back issues. The Yankees will be willing to go that extra year that the O's will probably not do. Then its up to JJ. And as he says "everything changes in FA.". Just my guess.

DD had to know this was coming. We will see what happens.

I highly doubt they give him a qualifying offer. That will be 15 million dollars. If they wanted to sign him for that they would have made him an extension offer. I think his bad back is what is keeping it from happening.

I highly doubt they give him a qualifying offer. That will be 15 million dollars. If they wanted to sign him for that they would have made him an extension offer. I think his bad back is what is keeping it from happening.

Of course they will give him a qualifying offer. There is no such thing as a bad one year contract.

I really don't think Hardy is coming back. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Yankees throw a 4/60 deal at him. No way we're going to match that.

So...the next thing is...how do we replace him? I honestly don't see anyone on the FA market to replace him. We would have to deal one of our starters for a suitable replacement.

I don't know how we replace his leadership, though. He seems to be a vital cog in this Orioles machine. You can tell he has a special relationship with Schoop, in particular.

I would make him turn down a 3/40 deal right now. Even though it's a bit of a "discount", I think he would likely be open to something along those lines. If we did this type of deal, it would likely mean we'd be out on Nick and/or Cruz. I think JJ is more important than either of those guys, though.

I really don't think Hardy is coming back. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Yankees throw a 4/60 deal at him. No way we're going to match that.

So...the next thing is...how do we replace him? I honestly don't see anyone on the FA market to replace him. We would have to deal one of our starters for a suitable replacement.

I don't know how we replace his leadership, though. He seems to be a vital cog in this Orioles machine. You can tell he has a special relationship with Schoop, in particular.

I would make him turn down a 3/40 deal right now. Even though it's a bit of a "discount", I think he would likely be open to something along those lines. If we did this type of deal, it would likely mean we'd be out on Nick and/or Cruz. I think JJ is more important than either of those guys, though.

If Hardy doesn't return and the O's don't move Manny then they should take a long look at Kang.

It's a tough decision for both sides. If I'm Hardy, there's no way I'd take a discount to stay - considering he's been a bargain for several years for the O's. If I'm the O's, I have to consider that he's past the age that players generally start to decline.

With Hardy, it's not so much the amount that is the worry, but the years. One year at 15 million is fine, but not 3 years at 13-15 million because production will probably decrease later.

Archived