Roberts to the Cubs again?

Ricky Bobby

Looking at all the teams in MLB there are only an few that really would need a BROB unless a major injury by mid season. (playoff contenders).Cleveland, Cubs, Rockies, Dodgers, (maybe Cardinals.weak NL Central). In 2009 there are many 2b free agents that teams could pick up relatively cheap. They could also flip some of these 3B and SS to play 2b.

Second Basemen

Jamey Carroll * CLE

Ray Durham SF

Mark Ellis OAK

Marcus Giles COL

Mark Grudzielanek KC

Orlando Hudson ARZ

Jeff Kent LAD

Felipe Lopez WAS

D’Angelo Jimenez STL

Pablo Ozuna * CWS

Nick Punto MIN

Jose Valentin NYM

Jose Vidro * SEA

Shortstops

Orlando Cabrera CWS

Alex Cintron CWS

Alex Cora BOS

Craig Counsell * MIL

Adam Everett MIN

Rafael Furcal LAD

Cristian Guzman WAS

Cesar Izturis STL

Ramon Martinez LAD

Edgar Renteria * DET

Juan Uribe CWS

Third Basemen

Hank Blalock * TEX

Joe Crede CWS

Morgan Ensberg NYY

Chipper Jones * ATL

Corey Koskie MIL

Greg Norton TB

Scott Spiezio * STL

* - player whose contract includes 2009 option

My opinion (though many will disagree with)this is the time to trade BROB. Cedeno Gallagher Epatt Marquis and Murton for Roberts and Payton. Plus I am a Cubs Fan so I want this to happen

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe there are people arguing that Gallagher, Murton, and Cedeno/Patterson wouldn't be a fair return for Roberts, or a trade worth making. That'd be a great trade. If we could sub Pie in for Murton and Cedeno/Patterson, even better.

I can't believe there are people arguing that Gallagher, Murton, and Cedeno/Patterson wouldn't be a fair return for Roberts, or a trade worth making. That'd be a great trade. If we could sub Pie in for Murton and Cedeno/Patterson, even better.

I'm too lazy to type my own thoughts, but this is about where I stand.

Originally Posted by Mackus

I can't believe there are people arguing that Gallagher, Murton, and Cedeno/Patterson wouldn't be a fair return for Roberts, or a trade worth making. That'd be a great trade. If we could sub Pie in for Murton and Cedeno/Patterson, even better

I'm too lazy to type my own thoughts, but this is about where I stand.

Yo tambien.... (Me too)

Is that on the table though?

Would you take SG, Marshall and Cendeno/EPat?

Probably not, although if that is still the best offer in July, then I'd accept it then (although its nearly impossible that all 4 of those players have the same value in July as they do right now, some will go up, some will go down, and we don't have any idea who will go which way).

I think thats enough to justify trading Roberts, but I just don't like Marshall enough as a second guy to pull that trigger. Getting Murton would allow us to try and do some sort of Walker/Sherill and Murton/Scott deal for a very solid SS.

I think you have to get Cedeno AND Patterson, a pitcher (or two), and an OF (or two).

There are plenty of way to make this work, and most don't involve Pie.

Cedeno, Patterson, Gallagher, Murton, Veal

Cedeno, Patterson, Gallagher, Colvin, Marshall

Cedeno, Patterson, Gallagher, Murton, Colvin

Cedeno, Patterson, Pie, Veal

Marshall is crap and will get destroyed in the AL East. I'd personally much rather see a prospect with some upside (Veal?, or someone else) than Marshall. I don't think the Cubs offer is good enough unless they include Pie or Marmol, which they will not. There is no point of trading Roberts just for the heck of it. Trade him later in the season if we have to.

Probably not, although if that is still the best offer in July, then I'd accept it then (although its nearly impossible that all 4 of those players have the same value in July as they do right now, some will go up, some will go down, and we don't have any idea who will go which way).

I think thats enough to justify trading Roberts, but I just don't like Marshall enough as a second guy to pull that trigger. Getting Murton would allow us to try and do some sort of Walker/Sherill and Murton/Scott deal for a very solid SS.

I agree with this.....I just wonder if Gallagher, Murton, RC/EPat has even been offered. If it has, maybe I do that....but I wouldn't be thrilled with it. I'd rather have Pie and Cedeno/EPat in an effort to get that SS.

I think you have to get Cedeno AND Patterson, a pitcher (or two), and an OF (or two).

There are plenty of way to make this work, and most don't involve Pie.

Cedeno, Patterson, Gallagher, Murton, Veal

Cedeno, Patterson, Gallagher, Colvin, Marshall

Cedeno, Patterson, Gallagher, Murton, Colvin

Cedeno, Patterson, Pie, Veal

That's too much for Roberts. I'd happily take a package of Gallagher, Murton, and Epatt/Cedeno.

To my mind Roberts is one of the top 5 2B/leadoff hitters in the game. To a contender he is worth a top prospect on the order of Jones plus. With the trades of Tejada and Bedard we don't need quantity as much as we did, we need quality. If I could get a good young SS or 1B or 3B prospect for him I'd trade him but that isn't what's being offered from the Cubs or the Indians for that matter. Murton, Cedeno, and EPatt are useful roleplayers at best. I'd keep BRob at least until the deadline or next winter if need be, to get a prospect who can fill one of these positions long term.

Play it that way, and there's a very strong chance you end up taking less 6 months or a year from now.

That's too much for Roberts. I'd happily take a package of Gallagher, Murton, and Epatt/Cedeno.

I think that's a weaker package than Tejada's.

Gallagher ~ Patton

Murton ~ Scott

Patteron or Cedeno < Albers and Sarfate and Costanzo

Roberts will cost $15MM less than Tejada over the next 2 years and should be a more valuable player.

Marshall is crap and will get destroyed in the AL East. I'd personally much rather see a prospect with some upside (Veal?, or someone else) than Marshall. I don't think the Cubs offer is good enough unless they include Pie or Marmol, which they will not. There is no point of trading Roberts just for the heck of it. Trade him later in the season if we have to.

I take it you have no hope for Garrett Olson as well.

I think that's a weaker package than Tejada's.

Gallagher ~ Patton

Murton ~ Scott

Patteron or Cedeno < Albers and Sarfate and Costanzo

Roberts will cost $15MM less than Tejada over the next 2 years and should be a more valuable player.

I think thats a comparable package to the Astros deal, although the Astros is slightly better.

However, the comparison isn't exactly valid. Just because the Astros overpaid horribly for Tejada doesn't mean that other teams should have to do so for Roberts.

MacPhail absolutely destroyed the Astros in that deal, he got a great return. Miggy's value wasn't nearly what many of us, including myself, hoped it was, and he was still about to get a great deal. I think we'll get a good return on Roberts, but it needn't beat the Miggy deal to be worth making, although it could. What national writer said we'd get more for Roberts than the Twins would for Santana a couple days ago?

Archived