Report: Orioles will decline Markakis' option

Crazysilver03

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is who Nick Markakis is now.

Eh, even so, I think counting on similar production from Lough, in the aggregate (i.e., glove offsetting the bat), would be a mistake. He's never played in more than 112 games (this year) or recorded more than 335 ABs (last year) in a single season. I'm assuming he was in the minors for such a long time for a reason, and I'm further assuming that Lough looking lost as a semi-regular early this year wasn't a mirage.

You can make the argument that virtually any level of production from Lough is better than Markakis at $10 million+ per year, but that doesn't mean you're definitely making the team better by going the cheap route. Lough's an undesirable, modest gamble, IMO.

That seems like a bit of a stretch, doesn't it? I know Lough started coming around with the bat and he has the ability to make some nice plays but I think you're selling Markakis short here.

It is, because you can't just extrapolate Lough to play to his career marks in 700 PAs. He would likely be worse (at least with the bat) because there's no more platooning him or spotting him in situations where he's likely to succeed. As a full time player he'd be facing everyone, LOOGYs, Chris Sale, all of them.

Yes, you could mitigate some of that by pinch hitting and platooning. Which you could also do with Markakis, if you thought it would help.

It is, because you can't just extrapolate Lough to play to his career marks in 700 PAs. He would likely be worse (at least with the bat) because there's no more platooning him or spotting him in situations where he's likely to succeed. As a full time player he'd be facing everyone, LOOGYs, Chris Sale, all of them.

Yes, you could mitigate some of that by pinch hitting and platooning. Which you could also do with Markakis, if you thought it would help.

Markakis' biggest weakness isn't hitting. Regardless, platooning him would only strengthen the financial argument for Lough.

Colby Rasmus would be a cheap fix to RF in 2015. Dariel Alvarez is almost ready for the bigs too.

I think the primary difference between Rasmus and Markakis is that we haven't spent the last six years wondering why Rasmus didn't become a superstar. Otherwise they're just league average free agent outfielders.

Archived