As the core changes... how will the O's core of position players change for the 2015-17 O's?

mdbdotcom

Read a good article in Sports Illustrated about Cruz's expected value. They projecCruz's value at 55-60 million over 4years.

Here is the article on Cruz value but I don't know whether its so good or not.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/11/21/nelson-cruz-free-agency-baltimore-orioles

The article seem to assume a 4th year even though the author says that if Cruz is a DH in the fourth year his value drops .4 WAR. Why would anyone want to commit to a DH with a 1 WAR or less? I think the 4th year is a bad assumption.

Also the analysis seems to assume that Cruz stays healthy which is not something to depend on.

Overall I think the analysis is too optimistic on what Cruz will produce over 4 years.

How does anything in this thread suggest that the O's future could hinge on whether Schoop learns to hit or not?

I assume he is responding to my statement that "I think Schoop is a huge key to the team going forward. If he fails to progress offensively, we could be a below average offense next season. But if he develops as hoped, we could be an above average offensive team for several years to come." That doesn't mean I expect him to hit as well as Machado or Jones. But there's a big difference between seeing him hit to a .725 OPS vs. a .530 OPS down the road. I believe he is capable of the former (probably not in 2015, but eventually).

Here is the article on Cruz value but I don't know whether its so good or not.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/11/21/nelson-cruz-free-agency-baltimore-orioles

The article seem to assume a 4th year even though the author says that if Cruz is a DH in the fourth year his value drops .4 WAR. Why would anyone want to commit to a DH with a 1 WAR or less? I think the 4th year is a bad assumption.

Also the analysis seems to assume that Cruz stays healthy which is not something to depend on.

Overall I think the analysis is too optimistic on what Cruz will produce over 4 years.

I think it's pretty useful. On a three year deal he projects a deal worth approx 47.5m. If your guess that dd has already made an opening offer of 3 years 45m is correct. Our GM is not too far off. I could see him bidding close to 50 million for Cruz to out bid Seattle.

I'd love to see us get younger and find some long term building blocks. And I'm really uncomfortable with Chen and Norris being free agents after this season, more so than Wieters/Davis, who concern me as well. I'd like to see us package Bundy with one of the Boras three to get back a solid long term answer in the field. Problem is, that's probably Chen with all of the uncertainty surrounding Davis and Wieters. I hope the right deals find DD, that allow us to reduce our impending 2016 FA issues, clarify what to do with Jiminez, and keep us highly competitive in 2015. DD has a complicated job this winter!

Archived