Would you have matched SEA offer to keep Cruz an Oriole?

isestrex

Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?

• Yes, that's reasonable
    • No, let the Mariners have him.

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd like to see a voter defend voting for Cruz when he didn't vote for Bonds or Clemens.

Does Britt have a HoF vote?

I dunno.   And I wasn't really seriously implying that he would somehow get in before those guys, just noting that he does seem to be a lot better liked than them.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd like to see a voter defend voting for Cruz when he didn't vote for Bonds or Clemens.

Does Britt have a HoF vote?

If she doesn't already - I'd assume she would by the time Cruz is eligible. Not that it should matter, he's not even close imo. 

1 minute ago, TheWall said:

If she doesn't already - I'd assume she would by the time Cruz is eligible. Not that it should matter, he's not even close imo. 

I would expect Cruz to drop off the ballot after the first year. I like him as a hitter, but I don’t see how any voter can make a serious case for Cruz. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would expect Cruz to drop off the ballot after the first year. I like him as a hitter, but I don’t see how any voter can make a serious case for Cruz. 

He's the type of guy that the right veteran's committee would put in.  (If he goes strong for a few more years).

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's the type of guy that the right veteran's committee would put in.  (If he goes strong for a few more years).

Led the last decade in HRs.   That's something only 10 guys can say in the live ball era, and I'll bet the other 9 are either in the HOF, or clearly deserving but not in because of steroids and being disliked (90s Bonds, 00s A-Rod).

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yeah, I definitely think that’s a possibility with Baines and Lee Smith opening the floodgates. Maybe last year will just remain aberration, but I don’t think it will. 

53 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Led the last decade in HRs.   That's something only 10 guys can say in the live ball era, and I'll bet the other 9 are either in the HOF, or clearly deserving but not in because of steroids and being disliked (90s Bonds, 00s A-Rod).

Did Aaron do it twice?  I’m pretty sure he led the NL in the 60s and 70s, but am not sure if he led the majors both times.

52 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Did Aaron do it twice?  I’m pretty sure he led the NL in the 60s and 70s, but am not sure if he led the majors both times.

I seriously doubt if Aaron led the NL in HR in the 1970's, since he didn't play the whole decade.  I would guess someone like Stargell, Bench, or Schmidt would be the guy.  I'm guessing all 3 of those guys had more HR in the 1970's than Aaron.

12 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I seriously doubt if Aaron led the NL in HR in the 1970's, since he didn't play the whole decade.  I would guess someone like Stargell, Bench, or Schmidt would be the guy.  I'm guessing all 3 of those guys had more HR in the 1970's than Aaron.

Stargell had 296, Reggie had 292 Bench had 290....top 3 in the 1970s.   Hank had 201 in the 1970s with retirement after 1976 season   Schmidt had 235 in the 1970s and started in 1972 as his rookie year

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, makoman said:

Anything’s possible and WAR isn’t everything but he has less WAR than Baines, who was roundly considered an awful pick. No way Cruz gets voted in—maybe he’ll be best buddies with someone on whatever committee in 25 years. 

Yes. I agree, although I do think he will get a few votes and may survive a year or two in the ballot.

32 minutes ago, Number5 said:

You’re correct.  It was Stargell.  I played a game on Sporcle last week and I thought that Aaron had done it. Not true.  He led the NL in the 60s.  Going back and looking at it, Aaron had the most homers over the course of the 60 and 70s, but not the 70s alone.

20s Ruth

30s Foxx

40s Williams

50s Snider

60s Killebrew

70s Stargell

80s Schmidt

90s McGwire

00s Rodriguez

10s Cruz

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

The HoF x-factor is that writers seem to love him.   In her recap of her years as a beat writer with the O's, Britt Ghiroli says he is flat out the nicest player she ever dealt with and a was a joy to work with.

That means a whole lot. Barry Bonds is a jerk, and I wouldn’t vote for him if you put a gun to my head. But Cruz is by all accounts a great guy, plus he admitted his use and put it behind him.

So I do expect to get some votes, but I don’t think he’ll get in Unless he has a really outstanding next three years.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

That means a whole lot. Barry Bonds is a jerk, and I wouldn’t vote for him if you put a gun to my head. But Cruz is by all accounts a great guy, plus he admitted his use and put it behind him.

So I do expect to get some votes, but I don’t think he’ll get in Unless he has a really outstanding next three years.

I don't understand what that has to do with what Bonds did between the lines. Who cares that he wasn't liked by the media.