Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

Sounds like the Blue Jays list leaked today. Nothing is final idk why you keep saying that. Blue Jays could offer Peter a sweet deal and he might take it.

Sounds like the Blue Jays have several on that list and Duquette is/was one of them. Which is a long way from how Rosenthal's initial tweet implied things were. Or at least how it was interpreted.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He did sound a bit uncomfortable when he gave his first response to the rumors. Then, Bowden said "These aren't rumors," and read the Angelos quotes. Dan sounded genuinely relieved that Angelos had taken the weight off of him to react to the stories, and he was definitely into it when discussing what the O's need this offseason.

I'm glad he's on the job, and I hope he stays there long enough to put an organization in place that is as strong as the one the O's had in the '60s and '70s. Then , he can take any job he wants.

:agree:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a> targeting major execs Duquette/Ryan/Williams makes for a potentially awkward Winter Meetings. Should be a key storyline.</p>? Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) <a href="
">December 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It is going to be like something out of an Agatha Christie novel. Everyone is going to suspect that everyone else really isn't what they seem.

Sounds like the Blue Jays have several on that list and Duquette is/was one of them. Which is a long way from how Rosenthal's initial tweet implied things were. Or at least how it was interpreted.

Rosenthal is a talented writer but any chance he can stir the pot with Angelos he is eager to do it.

Bitter ???

Since coming to the Orioles after being out of baseball for more than a decade, Duquette has oversaw a franchise that put together 3 consecutive winning seasons after having previously sustained 14 consecutive seasons, 2 playoff appearances, 1 division title, was awarded the Executive of the Year for 2014, and (because of the success with the Orioles) is actually starting to get some credit (in hindsight) for the Red Sox team nucleus that he put together before he was fired just before their emergence as a perennial power from 2003 onward.

What exactly does Duquette have to be bitter about ???

None of us have any idea what he does or doesn't have to be bitter about. This organization doesn't have a spotless track record so I won't assume he's been treated perfectly.

Well I listened to the whole segment and he danced around the direct questions like a pro.

He denied nothing said nothing more then he was at the winter meetings to represent the O's. (NO Duh)

Is it final IMHO NO WAY.

Exactly. Why not just come out and say I'm not going anywhere. Would have ended all speculation there, and he wouldn't have to answer it anymore.

I (obviously) hope he stays here. But I want (even more so) for him to want to stay here. If Peter Angelos is basically forcing him to stay here, that doesn't sound like something to be happy about. I think we need to wait for the dust to settle on this.

Sounds like the Jays are leaking names, up to 3 now. No evidence of who they really want.

I heard the interview. I feel Duquette did not definitively shoot down the idea that he has interest in the Blue Jays job. He's not in a position to say much more than he said. I certainly got the impression he is planning on actively representing the Orioles at the winter meetings.

Angelos indicated the Blue Jays won't receive permission interview Duquette, who was hired in 2012 and received an extension that carries through the 2018 season.

"The rule is if they're interested in our GM, they have no right to speak with him or make any attempt to induce him into taking any position," Angelos said today in a phone interview.

"They would have to contact us and ask if we're willing to relinquish him. We're not relinquishing him, period. He's signed for four more years and we're delighted by the team's performance. We intend for him to remain for the next four years. We're satisfied with him, obviously."

Manager Buck Showalter also is under contract through 2018. Together, they've led the Orioles to three straight winning seasons and two playoff appearances.

"They both have performed exceptionally well. We have no reason to let them go," Angelos said, adding that he has "no proof" that the Blue Jays have discussed interviewing Duquette.

"We're pleased with the performance of Dan as our GM and last season's performance by the club illustrates that clearly. There's no reason we'd be willing to transfer his presence to any other ballclub. He's received two awards for the excellent job he's performed in 2014. As far as the Orioles are concerned, he's our GM and we expect him to remain for the four years remaining on his contract. And very likely for additional years once that contract has expired.

"It's been a pleasure working with him."

Thank you I retract my previous comment NOW that sounds FINAL

Angelos make it clear that Dan will never get the chance to audition for the position.

Bitter ???

Since coming to the Orioles after being out of baseball for more than a decade, Duquette has overseen a franchise that has put together 3 consecutive winning seasons after having previously sustained 14 consecutive seasons, 2 playoff appearances, 1 division title, was awarded the Executive of the Year for 2014, and (because of the success with the Orioles) is actually starting to get some credit (in hindsight) for the Red Sox team nucleus that he put together before he was fired just before their emergence as a perennial power from 2003 onward.

What exactly does Duquette have to be bitter about ??? He's been the quintessential story of redemption since he came here.

None of us have any idea what he does or doesn't have to be bitter about. This organization doesn't have a spotless track record, so I won't assume he's been treated perfectly.

Maybe.

But Birdland doesn't have a spotless track record either, so I am weary of his assertion that Duquette "sounds bitter."

Archived