Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Peter Angelos on Dan Duquette becoming Blue Jays' candidate for CEO/team president: "We're not relinquishing him, period."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/12/angelos-on-duquette-were-not-relinquishing-him-period.html

Obviously there's been more steadfast owners than emperor palpatine give up control of a GM, but if I'm an O's fan, I'm fine to let them go.

Angelos indicated the Blue Jays won't receive permission interview Duquette, who was hired in 2012 and received an extension that carries through the 2018 season.

"The rule is if they're interested in our GM, they have no right to speak with him or make any attempt to induce him into taking any position," Angelos said today in a phone interview.

"They would have to contact us and ask if we're willing to relinquish him. We're not relinquishing him, period. He's signed for four more years and we're delighted by the team's performance. We intend for him to remain for the next four years. We're satisfied with him, obviously."

Manager Buck Showalter also is under contract through 2018. Together, they've led the Orioles to three straight winning seasons and two playoff appearances.

"They both have performed exceptionally well. We have no reason to let them go," Angelos said, adding that he has "no proof" that the Blue Jays have discussed interviewing Duquette.

"We're pleased with the performance of Dan as our GM and last season's performance by the club illustrates that clearly. There's no reason we'd be willing to transfer his presence to any other ballclub. He's received two awards for the excellent job he's performed in 2014. As far as the Orioles are concerned, he's our GM and we expect him to remain for the four years remaining on his contract. And very likely for additional years once that contract has expired.

"It's been a pleasure working with him."

Thank you I retract my previous comment NOW that sounds FINAL

I know. That is what I was basing this on. Bird can think what he wants. Dan will stay through 2018 if not longer. Position and compensation to be determined.

Maybe.

But Birdland doesn't have a spotless track record either, so I am weary of his assertion that Duquette "sounds bitter."

Especially when he did not hear the sound of his voice, the tenor, or the comfortable conversation he had with his cousin.

I heard the interview. I feel Duquette did not definitively shoot down the idea that he has interest in the Blue Jays job. He's not in a position to say much more than he said. I certainly got the impression he is planning on actively representing the Orioles at the winter meetings.[/quote

I would think anyone in his position would be flattered by someone thinking highly of you for a better position.

Archived