Duquette: "mutual interest" in a contract extension with Tillman

Frobby

Elbow and shoulder injuries can happen at any age and wipe out a year or two. Look at what happen to Britton. I like tieing pitchers up for three years. That's why I would wait a year on Chris.
You will pay for the year anyway if you wait. You'll just pay twice.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I'd prefer the 5-6 year extension but one option I haven't seen discussed is if they just buyout the first couple of years of arbitration. It would be similar to the deal that Mat Latos (2/$11.5 mil) got when he was with the Reds. Chris is more valuable and remember wins count in arbitration so his 29-13 record over the two years is coming into any discussion at some point.

A short buyout gives the team certainty and the player a chance to increase his value for a long term extension. It could be a starting point for talks.

I agree. That is a starting place. You get no options on his FA years with that approach though.

The O's are at a point where they must consider issues of continuity and culture. At some point the team has to start signing "their" guys to maintain continuity. Tillman provides that opportunity. While technically he's not one of our guys, in the sense that he didn't come up through our system, but in terms of his tenure and stature on the staff he qualifies. Signing him would send the same kind of message to the rotation as Jones' signing sent to the position players. BTW we would also be securing a very good arm for the rotation in the prime of his career.

There's always a risk in signing pitchers long term. In this case the risk is mitigated by Tillman's age and durability.

All the O's starters outpitch their peripherals, it's the defense.

And thats exactly why we shouldn't be overpaying pitchers when its the defense that is helping them a lot. If Tillman wants to be paid like a true low 3 ERA pitcher, then I'm going to have to pass since I don't think thats his talent level.

The O's are at a point where they must consider issues of continuity and culture. At some point the team has to start signing "their" guys to maintain continuity. Tillman provides that opportunity. While technically he's not one of our guys, in the sense that he didn't come up through our system, but in terms of his tenure and stature on the staff he qualifies. Signing him would send the same kind of message to the rotation as Jones' signing sent to the position players. BTW we would also be securing a very good arm for the rotation in the prime of his career.

There's always a risk in signing pitchers long term. In this case the risk is mitigated by Tillman's age and durability.

It would do the same thing if Tillman was signed for multi years next off season. He is not going anywhere for three seasons.

It would do the same thing if Tillman was signed for multi years next off season. He is not going anywhere for three seasons.

He would be a year older at the back end wouldn't he? By acting sooner your getting his 31 year old season rather than his 32. Assuming a five year contract of course.

No. You will pay an extra season's worth of value to the total contract if you delay and he has a healthy season. For certain.

He would be a year older at the back end wouldn't he? By acting sooner your getting his 31 year old season rather than his 32. Assuming a five year contract of course.

So far the only talk I have seen of 5 guaranteed years is here on the OH. Dan just said a contract extension.

So far the only talk I have seen of 5 guaranteed years is here on the OH. Dan just said a contract extension.

Wouldn't you want to secure some FA years with an extended contract? You would automatically be in for the three arb years and I assume you would want at least two FA seasons. It would appear foolish to do it otherwise.

By todays market, Tillman is worth probably 12-15m per. I'd say 5/65 with an option.

But he's not on the market. His salary is artificially suppressed for the next three seasons. You'd be committing to paying him 20 MM per year for the last two under that contract. That's way too much.

Archived