Duquette: "mutual interest" in a contract extension with Tillman

Frobby

And thats exactly why we shouldn't be overpaying pitchers when its the defense that is helping them a lot. If Tillman wants to be paid like a true low 3 ERA pitcher, then I'm going to have to pass since I don't think thats his talent level.

I'd say that is perhaps his level of talent, but it certainly hasn't been his level of performance. FIP is still above 4, SO rate under 7. He seemed like he lost command of his secondary pitches last year. Didn't really go deep into games. Unless he is giving us a significant discount, I'm not sure now is the time to buy out his cheap years, coming off the year he had last year.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per Roch: http://m.masn.mobi/school-of-roch/2015/01/mutual-interest-in-tillman-extension-and-other-notes.html

Would you be interested in locking up Tillman long term at this point, and if so, on what terms?

YES.

What terms? Well, he's got three years of arbitration so I'd double it. I'd try for 6 years at $12 mil per. Substantial raise over what he's getting now, but still a manageable contract. Club option for year 7 with a cheap buyout. So 6 yr, $72 mil with a club option for a 7th year at $15 mil, $1 mil buyout.

Now unfortunately I see nothing from the article that says to me that the two sides are even going to try. "Arbitration is maybe a good time to potentially look at talking about an extension" doesn't excite me.

I'd say that is perhaps his level of talent' date=' but it certainly hasn't been his level of performance. FIP is still above 4, SO rate under 7. He seemed like he lost command of his secondary pitches last year. Didn't really go deep into games. Unless he is giving us a significant discount, I'm not sure now is the time to buy out his cheap years, coming off the year he had last year.[/quote']

I'm going to sound old fashioned here, but the guy is a winner. 38-16 the last three years. I care about that more than FIP.

Three of the years we control for an average of 8.5 million per. I'd say that 12.5 for the other two would be suitable. But 14 would be ok as well.

I know from a team standpoint you wouldn't actually pay him the same AAV. Wilson was a FA when he signed his deal, so different circumstances. It's just amazing that for his body of work leading up to that deal he'd still be paid more than our guy.

Archived