Potential Free Agent Idea...

clapdiddy

Last year, there were rumors that Nelson Cruz left multi-year deals on the table before he signed with the O's. I think only Seattle has truly confessed to having had one out there, but we really don't know what Cruz was offered elsewhere.

There were rumors that James Shields had a 5/90 deal "on the table" with someone, but he's still available.

What if...we traded Norris and/or Chen for prospects and signed Shields to the same type of deal we did for Nelson? They are about the same age...and it could be a chance for Shields to pitch for a contender (man...it's great to say that), plus drive his value up for a multi-year deal after 2015.

We could offer Shields a nice base...let's say 11M...and have incentives built in based on innings pitched. Plus, we could sell high on Norris and/or Chen and add to the farm system.

I just thought I'd throw this out there as something other than Duquette to talk about...

I think its an interesting idea, but it would by contingent on Shields willing to take a 1 year deal. We could unload Norris for a cheap young outfielder. A rotation of Shields, Tillman, Gausman, Chen, Gonzo is pretty solid.

The other thing to add is that it would cost us a pick. Now, we would conceivably pick that pick back up next offseason.

Last year, there were rumors that Nelson Cruz left multi-year deals on the table before he signed with the O's. I think only Seattle has truly confessed to having had one out there, but we really don't know what Cruz was offered elsewhere.

There were rumors that James Shields had a 5/90 deal "on the table" with someone, but he's still available.

What if...we traded Norris and/or Chen for prospects and signed Shields to the same type of deal we did for Nelson? They are about the same age...and it could be a chance for Shields to pitch for a contender (man...it's great to say that), plus drive his value up for a multi-year deal after 2015.

We could offer Shields a nice base...let's say 11M...and have incentives built in based on innings pitched. Plus, we could sell high on Norris and/or Chen and add to the farm system.

I just thought I'd throw this out there as something other than Duquette to talk about...

I can't see a pitcher taking a make good unless they had a gun to their head like Santana last year.

Archived