TeamSchoop6

Who has the better year at 2B?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the better year at 2B?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frobby, going way out on a limb again! :)

Seriously, why should I? I don't know which version of Cabrera is going to show up and I don't know if Schoop will have absorbed some lessons from his rookie year over the winter. I've never even seen Cabrera play.

But why bring in Cabrera? I don't think Cabrera will a Utility player. Whoever wins

the job it's going to be a great season for the O's.

If you look at the last few seasons, only a few Oriole players are NOT utility players.

Jones, Wieters, Hardy, Machado and sometimes Chris Davis. Markakis but he is gone.

Everyone else is a part time player. This is how Buck plays the game. A core of position players complemented with a horde of 'utility' players who do different things well.

$2.3 million dollars for Everth Cabrera puts him right in the Oriole 'utility' belt.

In fact, if someone could photoshop some Oriole shaped Batarangs...Buckarangs?... that would be fantastic.

batarang-430x430.jpg

If you look at the last few seasons, only a few Oriole players are NOT utility players.

Jones, Wieters, Hardy, Machado and sometimes Chris Davis. Markakis but he is gone.

Everyone else is a part time player. This is how Buck plays the game. A core of position players complemented with a horde of 'utility' players who do different things well.

$2.3 million dollars for Everth Cabrera puts him right in the Oriole 'utility' belt.

In fact, if someone could photoshop some Oriole shaped Batarangs...Buckarangs?... that would be fantastic.

batarang-430x430.jpg

The problem with this in the case of the 2B position is that Schoop desperately needs to develop as a hitter. He needs to play every day as a primary 2B at Norfolk or MLB to see what he can do. If his bat is not ready for MLB, he is better off long term starting at Norfolk than he would be platooning with Cabrera. Especially because he bats from the right side.

The problem with this in the case of the 2B position is that Schoop desperately needs to develop as a hitter. He needs to play every day as a primary 2B at Norfolk or MLB to see what he can do. If his bat is not ready for MLB, he is better off long term starting at Norfolk than he would be platooning with Cabrera. Especially because he bats from the right side.

I think his growth won't be stunted if he's playing 2 out of 3 days for a period of time. I think Buck can find a productive combination in LF/2B with De Aza, Cabrera, Schoop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think his growth won't be stunted if he's playing 2 out of 3 days for a period of time. I think Buck can find a productive combination in LF/2B with De Aza, Cabrera, Schoop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, so long as Schoop gets 400 PA's (481 last year) this year I think his development will be fine.

I'll also add, Everth Cabrera puts some pressure on the kid, maybe Buck thinks he is a guy who thrives under pressure? If Schoop OPS after 100 pas is sub .600 he needs to know his next 100 will be in Norfolk.

I choose Schoop, but I think it's far from a lock. I think Schoop gets the upper-hand, but he will need to prove a better approach at the plate. His defense and power kept him in the majors last year, but he will need to show progression to stay there.

I think Cabrera is his only real competition and it only goes his way if Schoop still shows several holes in his swing and little progress from last year while at the same time, Cabrera plays like he did in 2013 and shows at least above average defense.

That said, I kinda like the idea of Cabrera leading off for this team with De Aza or Lough in LF batting ninth IF he is in his 2013 form.

Schoop won a job with the big club last spring when nobody was expecting him to do so. How he plays this spring will have a lot to do with the answer to your poll question.

Do you really think this Frobby -- that Schoop's spring training performance will determine who the Orioles choose as their starter at 2B this season? Yes, that happened last year, I'll agree. That happens sometimes for young rookies. But now that the Orioles have seen a full season of Schoop at the major league level, they probably have an impression of him that won't be changed dramatically by spring training performance.

The only question I have is whether Flaherty goes down to keep Schoop on the ML roster as a part-timer or whether Schoop goes down so he can play full-time in order to focus on specific things.

Archived