Orioles win; Yankees lose

wildcard

Yanks have begun their slide to playing .500 baseball for the rest of the season. Finish with a max of 95 wins. O's are on a pace to finish well above 101. Red Sox may overtake them for second in the division. Look at last nights lineup. Only two regulars with an OPS above .700. The pitching is coming back to earth. Particularly Gil and Rodon. Long way to go but can two hitters carry the offense the rest of the way?

5 minutes ago, OldNewGuy said:

Yanks have begun their slide to playing .500 baseball for the rest of the season. Finish with a max of 95 wins. O's are on a pace to finish well above 101. Red Sox may overtake them for second in the division. Look at last nights lineup. Only two regulars with an OPS above .700. The pitching is coming back to earth. Particularly Gil and Rodon. Long way to go but can two hitters carry the offense the rest of the way?

I wouldn't be so sure to write them off that quickly...I think we're seeing a regression from them, but I don't think it means they'll necessarily be playing .500 ball the rest of the way.  They still have Cole (although he hasn't been sharp) and the rest of the rotation probably isn't as good as they've been but they're not awful, either.  They still have a good to perhaps great bullpen.

And of course Soto and Judge.  

This all said, I'd love it if they played .500 the rest of the way.  I can see a case for why you'd think that but there's plenty of baseball left.

I think we pull away and win the division relatively easily.  Not talking like a full runaway but I think we'll feel pretty comfortable by the last week of the season.

Yanks aren't as bad as they look now but weren't as good as they looked earlier.  Position player wise we are significantly better and deeper.  They're better in pitching for sure, it will be interesting to see how their staff performs the rest of the year.  I also expect them to make some more significant moves at the deadline.

22 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Love bumping this thread. Is this just a slump by the Yanks or the beginning of a slide?

Love this thread. We’re 3 up on them in the L column. 

We’re on pace to go 103-59. That’s 48-28 the rest of the way for us. The Yankees would have to go 50-24 the rest of the way to win the AL East over us because we hold the tie break due to H2H.

We’re 5-2 against them this season. We play them 3 at home, and 3 on the road. They’d have to take 5 out of 6 to have the tie breaker.  

42 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Love this thread. We’re 3 up on them in the L column. 

We’re on pace to go 103-59. That’s 48-28 the rest of the way for us. The Yankees would have to go 50-24 the rest of the way to win the AL East over us because we hold the tie break due to H2H.

We’re 5-2 against them this season. We play them 3 at home, and 3 on the road. They’d have to take 5 out of 6 to have the tie breaker.  

There are 76 games for us to play (74 for the Yankees).   The standings could flip in a weekend.   I think the team has the right approach, just win the game in front of them and worry about the rest later.   Back in May/June when we were playing great ball but the Yankees were winning at an insane rate I said we should just worry about ourselves and the rest would take care of itself.  It’s no surprise that the Yankees hit a rough patch, but they’re also capable of going on another tear.  If we play consistently good baseball, we’ll be fine.   

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There are 76 games for us to play (74 for the Yankees).   The standings could flip in a weekend.   I think the team has the right approach, just win the game in front of them and worry about the rest later.   Back in May/June when we were playing great ball but the Yankees were winning at an insane rate I said we should just worry about ourselves and the rest would take care of itself.  It’s no surprise that the Yankees hit a rough patch, but they’re also capable of going on another tear.  If we play consistently good baseball, we’ll be fine.   

This.  I expect them to be aggressive at the deadline too.  And ultimately these teams could see each other in October when anything could happen.

One game at a time. Would love to see the Yankees collapse but it ain't over till it's over and I will hold prognosticating for now. But it is fun hearing all that howling from The Big Apple. Let's just keep winnig at the pace we have since last year and it will be Yankees Who?

4 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

One game at a time. Would love to see the Yankees collapse but it ain't over till it's over and I will hold prognosticating for now. But it is fun hearing all that howling from The Big Apple. Let's just keep winnig at the pace we have since last year and it will be Yankees Who?

If the Yankees collapse I want the Sox to ascend.

While I do want an AL East title, i don't want a cakewalk.

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the Yankees collapse I want the Sox to ascend.

While I do want an AL East title, i don't want a cakewalk.

Huh?   Is that some thing so we don’t lose our edge?   I’ll take the cakewalk.  If it’s a cakewalk it means we haven’t lost our edge.