The mediocre AL East?

Going Underground

I don't think Boston and New York are the powerhouses anymore, Orioles closer Zach Britton said. I think anybody in this division is capable of winning.

Moreover, anyone in this division is capable of losing.

Here's a bet: The 2015 American League East champion will win fewer than 95 games. Would you take it? Given what we know right now that the Yankees have played at a surprising pace, but Boston, Baltimore, Tampa Bay and Toronto are all sputtering within three games of .500 what might the over-under be to take the title Ninety-two victories? Ninety?

But who can? Bostons ERA is an AL-worst 5.05 entering Wednesday. The Blue Jays rank 26th in baseball; the Orioles, 22nd. The Yankees partly on the back of late-game relievers Dellin Betances and Andrew Miller, neither of whom have given up an earned run yet this season have pitched surprisingly well thus far, posting the ALs top ERA at 3.32. But would-be ace Masahiro Tanaka is on the disabled list because of forearm and wrist issues, and though he came through a 30-pitch bullpen session Tuesday without issue, he is not currently anchoring a rotation that includes CC Sabathia?s 5.20 ERA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/05/13/first-to-worst-the-mediocrity-that-is-the-al-east/

By my count:

AL Central +7

AL East +5

NL Central +5

NL West +1

AL West -9

NL East -9

The AL East is not as dominant as it used to be, but it is still one of the best divisions, and I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it finishes with the best record in baseball.

Don ot care how many wins the Orioles get. Just as long as we win the division:

Here's a bet: The 2015 American League East champion will win fewer than 95 games. Would you take it? Given what we know right now that the Yankees have played at a surprising pace, but Boston, Baltimore, Tampa Bay and Toronto are all sputtering within three games of .500 what might the over-under be to take the title Ninety-two victories? Ninety?

:)

Top to bottom the AL East is probably the strongest division in baseball. There really is no weak team.

There may not be a dominant team or two like in years past, but I'd argue that overall the division is actually better now.

Top to bottom the AL East is probably the strongest division in baseball. There really is no weak team.

There may not be a dominant team or two like in years past, but I'd argue that overall the division is actually better now.

I would too.

I don't think so. Take 2013 for example. The East had the winningest team in the league, another 90 win team, and four teams with 85+ wins. Even the last place team (Blue Jays) were respectable at 74-88. The East is nowhere near that good this year.

Archived