Brian Matusz suspension (8 Days Confirmed, Back Today)

Crazysilver03

Who's to say it just isn't a routine he follows. Like a batter stepping out. The Marlins pitcher kept rubbing his thumb on the brim of his hat.

The ump is to say. He checked his arm. If there was nothing there he would not have tossed him. He clearly didn't want to even check in the first place.

Just because this is an Orioles doesn't mean we should be in denial. Matusz has done this for a while, and now we know why.

One thing is clear though...it obviously has given him no advantage.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The ump is to say. He checked his arm. If there was nothing there he would not have tossed him. He clearly didn't want to even check in the first place.

Just because this is an Orioles doesn't mean we should be in denial. Matusz has done this for a while, and now we know why.

This is why they should put in on the crotch.

I think there are numerous documented cases in the media, where pitchers have been applying sunscreen to their arms for years, even indoors under the dome and at night.

Well, it must give him some advantage over not doing it, or he wouldn't do it. Meanwhile, his ERA is 3.18, pretty much in line with the last two years (3.53 and 3.48).

Well, it must give him some advantage over not doing it, or he wouldn't do it. Meanwhile, his ERA is 3.18, pretty much in line with the last two years (3.53 and 3.48).

Yeah, he seems to be doing his job. Not sure what it is with Brian that makes it appear he is worse than he is? Maybe its the fact that the games he blows are well remembered? I guess it could be the salary he's getting and his failed first round draft pick status? Not sure, but you're right, he's not as bad as many make him out to be.

Yeah, he seems to be doing his job. Not sure what it is with Brian that makes it appear he is worse than he is? Maybe its the fact that the games he blows are well remembered? I guess it could be the salary he's getting and his failed first round draft pick status? Not sure, but you're right, he's not as bad as many make him out to be.

I think it boils down to two things:

1. Some people are obsessed with the fact that he was a no. 4 overall pick and therefore feel the need to jump on him any time he has a bad outing. You just don't see those reactions when Brach or Hunter has a bad day.

2. Since Matusz is a situational guy, used in favorable matchup situations a fair amount of the time, you'd expect his ERA to be pretty good.

I think it boils down to two things:

1. Some people are obsessed with the fact that he was a no. 4 overall pick and therefore feel the need to jump on him any time he has a bad outing. You just don't see those reactions when Brach or Hunter has a bad day.

2. Since Matusz is a situational guy, used in favorable matchup situations a fair amount of the time, you'd expect his ERA to be pretty good.

I'll add a third.

Appearance.

Matusz doesn't particularly look like an athlete, he gets red faced in the heat and his body language isn't good.

I think stuff like that, fair or not, pays a part in how someone is perceived.

During the replays on FOX you could see his arm skin sticking after he would remove his fingers. He definitely had something on his arm, and got caught. I can't stand cheating, and this obviously hasn't been helping him at all this year if he's done this prior (and I suspect he has).

I'm legit curious, why is this move by the Marlins manager perceived as bush league?

I'll add a third.

Appearance.

Matusz doesn't particularly look like an athlete, he gets red faced in the heat and his body language isn't good.

I think stuff like that, fair or not, pays a part in how someone is perceived.

It does for some people, for sure. I don't think I'm one of them, at least, not consciously.

During the replays on FOX you could see his arm skin sticking after he would remove his fingers. He definitely had something on his arm, and got caught. I can't stand cheating, and this obviously hasn't been helping him at all this year if he's done this prior (and I suspect he has).

I'm legit curious, why is this move by the Marlins manager perceived as bush league?

Because apparently this is something a lot of pitchers do and it is seen as an acceptable practice by most managers, even though technically illegal. I don't really have an opinion on it, except to say that if it is not difficult to distinguish this practice from other practices that actually affect the movement on the ball, then they should just make it legal rather than relying on "unwritten rules."

Archived