Brian Matusz suspension (8 Days Confirmed, Back Today)

Crazysilver03

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I figured out some of why Brian looks worse than his stats. How many inherited runners does he allow to score? Last night for instance he gave up a 2 run double that goes against Hunter, not Matusz. I wonder how many of these has occurred that don't show up in his ERA stat line?

A couple people tried to come to his defense last in the GT, but they must avoid looking at any peripherals at all.

Yes, the inherited runners are a problem which also artificially keeps his ERA lower. His IS% was at 33% entering last night and now it's at 50%. A good reliever is in the 10%-20% range. That means whenever he comes into a game you can bet someone is scoring if runners are on base.

As Drungo mentioned his walk rate (5.8 P/9) is ridiculously bad. He was 3.0 last year but I don't want to wait around until he figures it out. And his WHIP is at 1.417 and rising.

Thank goodness for ERA and those lefty splits, huh?

Get off his back. No earned runs again. It's not his fault he couldn't get one of two lefties out. That's not his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rasmus bothered me more than Villabuena. You could just tell he wasn't going to hit Matusz, if Matusz threw strikes.

Rasmus bothered me more than Villabuena. You could just tell he wasn't going to hit Matusz, if Matusz threw strikes.

That's the thing, he inexplicably falls behind and loses guys he should get out. And then he gives up the hit on that hanger. That pitch looked much crisper to me at the start of the year.

A couple people tried to come to his defense last in the GT, but they must avoid looking at any peripherals at all.

Yes, the inherited runners are a problem which also artificially keeps his ERA lower. His IS% was at 33% entering last night and now it's at 50%. A good reliever is in the 10%-20% range. That means whenever he comes into a game you can bet someone is scoring if runners are on base.

Very few are in the 10-20% range. Last year the AL average was 29%. Matusz was at 20%. The sainted Andrew Miller was at 31% as an Oriole.

I don't think you can draw much from inherited runner stats when you are talking about a sample size of 8. Even a full season's worth is pretty skimpy. Also, it depends a lot on the situation -- coming in with a runner on 3B with nobody out is a lot different from coming in with a runner on 1B and two out.

That said, Matusz stunk last night.

Very few are in the 10-20% range. Last year the AL average was 29%. Matusz was at 20%. The sainted Andrew Miller was at 31% as an Oriole.

I don't think you can draw much from inherited runner stats when you are talking about a sample size of 8. Even a full season's worth is pretty skimpy. Also, it depends a lot on the situation -- coming in with a runner on 3B with nobody out is a lot different from coming in with a runner on 1B and two out.

That said, Matusz stunk last night.

I said good not average. Miller was 17% last year while our own Zach Britton was at a ridiculously good 10%. :eektf:

I said good not average. Miller was 17% last year while our own Zach Britton was at a ridiculously good 10%. :eektf:

Koji was at 50%, so I guess he is a terrible pitcher. Not as bad as Joe Nathan, who was at 60%.

Just kidding around -- those were tiny, tiny sample sizes (10 inherited runners all year for Koji, 5 for Joe Nathan). By comparison, Matusz inherited 49 runners, 6th most in the AL.

The hearing is today. Anybody want to guess:

- How long the suspension will be?

- How the O's adjust the roster?

I don't think it gets altered. Probably remains 8 games.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Wright and or Drake sent down to make room for Norris and a fresh arm. Feel like they wanted to DFA Roe but right now he is doing too well.

I don't think it gets altered. Probably remains 8 games.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Wright and or Drake sent down to make room for Norris and a fresh arm. Feel like they wanted to DFA Roe but right now he is doing too well.

I agree with your 2nd sentence.

I would not be surprised to see it reduced, most appeals usually get reduced. I would not be shocked, if it was not.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Actually, just hearing that Brian Matusz's suspension will be upheld at 8 games, according to an industry source. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">June 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MLB suspension policy is totally flawed, Brewers pitcher Will Smith had his suspension reduced from 8 days to 6 today, why the difference ?
This makes no sense. To begin with suspending a RP 8 days is far more punitive to the team than 8 days for a SP. Torre is confused

Archived