What is the upside to waiting for Bud Norris to get better?

mdbdotcom

I have a feeling Bud will get used in relief between now and Gausman's next turn.

Definitely. Bud should be smart about this. Be a team player. Pitch in the bullpen for a contending team and hopefully earn a few starts the 2nd half of the year. The worst thing for him would be to whine, force a trade, then go get rocked the rest of the year in a middle tier team's rotation. At least if he has success in the pen he has something to point to after this year is over. It's to the point where not even going to the NL would help him this year.

Definitely. Bud should be smart about this. Be a team player. Pitch in the bullpen for a contending team and hopefully earn a few starts the 2nd half of the year. The worst thing for him would be to whine, force a trade, then go get rocked the rest of the year in a middle tier team's rotation. At least if he has success in the pen he has something to point to after this year is over. It's to the point where not even going to the NL would help him this year.

Miguel Gonzalez took an assignment to the minors last summer with minimal complaining even though he was pitching far better than guys who didn't, especially Ubaldo. Then, after having a good year, he was completely bypassed for starting assignments in the post season until it was all but over in KC, and he never complained.

Ubaldo was pitching poorly last year but probably not as bad as Bud this year...and he took last year's demotion from the rotation like a mensch.

Chen had a demotion to the minors that was completely undeserved based on performance last month, and he made one questioning tweet but otherwise didn't complain and did all the right things.

So given those recent examples from his teammates, I would certainly expect Bud to accept a bullpen assignment with no complaints and go and do his job the best he can.

Miguel Gonzalez took an assignment to the minors last summer with minimal complaining even though he was pitching far better than guys who didn't, especially Ubaldo. Then, after having a good year, he was completely bypassed for starting assignments in the post season until it was all but over in KC, and he never complained.

Ubaldo was pitching poorly last year but probably not as bad as Bud this year...and he took last year's demotion from the rotation like a mensch.

Chen had a demotion to the minors that was completely undeserved based on performance last month, and he made one questioning tweet but otherwise didn't complain and did all the right things.

So given those recent examples from his teammates, I would certainly expect Bud to accept a bullpen assignment with no complaints and go and do his job the best he can.

Bud went to Showalter the day after his last atrocious start and said he was available to pitch out of the pen that night. I'm not worried about his attitude, I just wish he didn't suck.

Archived