So the deadline came and went...

oriolesacox

Like the reboot of the bullpen. Meh about Davies for Parra. Dont get the extreme DD hate but oh well.

I hate the trade because 1) I don't like the trade and 2) it's another instance of Duquette playing fast and loose with prospects. Duquette has a lot of strengths, but his trading history leaves a lot to be desired. I find it especially bizarre how savvy he is about finding reclamation projects and other cost controlled assets but then seems to place very little value on his own farm system. Does he have no faith in our player development? If not, fix it!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me, we should have been sellers and blew a golden opportunity. In addition, we gave up an arm that could be a backend arm in the rotation for a rental that is a joke in comparison to what the Jays did. So why bother doing anything.

I lost a great deal of respect for DD as a GM. I like him but don't understand what he has been doing the past year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are 2 games out of the wildcard and set for a re-boot this off-season. Go for it....he did and he got the OF with the 3rd highest OPS in the NL. Getting anything for Tommy Hunter is a minor miracle.

To me, we should have been sellers and blew a golden opportunity. In addition, we gave up an arm that could be a backend arm in the rotation for a rental that is a joke in comparison to what the Jays did. So why bother doing anything.

I lost a great deal of respect for DD as a GM. I like him but don't understand what he has been doing the past year.

I don't think a team that is 2 games back of a playoff spot on July 30 should sell off. I certainly don't think you do your team and fans to two months of noncompetitive baseball when you have a real chance at the postseason.

Yes, I fully understand the tradeoffs of present and future value, etc. But wat about the hundreds of thousands of dollars fans have spent on Aug/Sept tickets expecting to see a team trying to win. If poor circumstances or play made competing impossible, then by all means sell off.

But playing 4 months, being in the thick of the race, and then looking your players and fans in the eye and saying, even though we have a chance, Wed rather improve our chances by X% in 2017 and 2018 by quitting now? Nope, I don't see it.

I hate the trade because 1) I don't like the trade and 2) it's another instance of Duquette playing fast and loose with prospects. Duquette has a lot of strengths, but his trading history leaves a lot to be desired. I find it especially bizarre how savvy he is about finding reclamation projects and other cost controlled assets but then seems to place very little value on his own farm system. Does he have no faith in our player development? If not, fix it!

I think he doesn't value starting pitching prospects who do not project as #1 or 2, and I can understand that. Back end of the rotation guys are available every year. He develops them to trade them at the deadline. And that's what he did.

These are your quotes on Davies.

I agree but "I am no scout" :)

So I clearly could be wrong. But I would not have given up Davvies for a rental that is t e en impressive. If he had another year, yes.

I think we went from mediocre to mediocre-er

Don't like the overall philosophy of tread water for the first 4 months of the season and then trade top prospects for rentals. Seems like erosion over time. I'll keep watching and rooting, but the other contenders got better, I'm not expecting a big playoff push. We need to improve this offseason, not get cheaper.

I don't think a team that is 2 games back of a playoff spot on July 30 should sell off. I certainly don't think you do your team and fans to two months of noncompetitive baseball when you have a real chance at the postseason.

Yes, I fully understand the tradeoffs of present and future value, etc. But wat about the hundreds of thousands of dollars fans have spent on Aug/Sept tickets expecting to see a team trying to win. If poor circumstances or play made competing impossible, then by all means sell off.

But playing 4 months, being in the thick of the race, and then looking your players and fans in the eye and saying, even though we have a chance, Wed rather improve our chances by X% in 2017 and 2018 by quitting now? Nope, I don't see it.

This is a good post. Is the goal to win or be competitive? If it is to win, you do sell off. If it is merely to be competitive, then you are right.

If we get a wildcard, how far do you see us going?

What's your thoughts? Happy? Sad? Meh?

I'm not really happy about it. If it was Parra plus another ML bat, I could have lived with that. But Parra doesn't push us to that next level and I would of rather just kept Davies and rolled with what we had.

What say you?

You'll get no argument from me meh... Buyer's :laughlol: Actually I am surprised we even got that. I said all along it's a .500 club I see no change in this trade that makes me feel different, but what do I know it's JMHO maybe now they'll win 96 games.

What's your thoughts? Happy? Sad? Meh?

I'm not really happy about it. If it was Parra plus another ML bat, I could have lived with that. But Parra doesn't push us to that next level and I would of rather just kept Davies and rolled with what we had.

What say you?

Parra better than Nolan, Snider and Lough. IMO

Tommy going to the Cubs for a prospect and Bud being sent down released is

Pretty good to me. IMO

This is a good post. Is the goal to win or be competitive? If it is to win, you do sell off. If it is merely to be competitive, then you are right.

If we get a wildcard, how far do you see us going?

Possibly all the way, like last years wild cards.

I think he doesn't value starting pitching prospects who do not project as #1 or 2, and I can understand that. Back end of the rotation guys are available every year. He develops them to trade them at the deadline. And that's what he did.

This is simplistic. I could just as easily say mediocre outfielders are available every year, so why trade for one? Legitimate back end starters are not just a dime a dozen like you make it seem, particularly not ones that would be making league minimum. Sure, we can go out and sign an aging innings eater, but it's still likely to run us at least a few million, probably more.

I think we went from mediocre to mediocre-er

Don't like the overall philosophy of tread water for the first 4 months of the season and then trade top prospects for rentals. Seems like erosion over time. I'll keep watching and rooting, but the other contenders got better, I'm not expecting a big playoff push. We need to improve this offseason, not get cheaper.

Another great post. Tread water and erode=not a long term philosophy, particularly when your first round pitching picks are consistent failures.

It will be interesting where the off season money is spent. Jones and Manny better play all out this year because I am pretty sure this is the last truly competitive Oriole team they will be on before they move on.

I disagree...I think we will be in the wildcard hunt next year as well. I think we will try and sign one of our free agents, my guess is Wieters.

Wieters

Schoop

Hardy

Manny

Jones

Tillman

Gonzo

Gausman

Britton

Not a bad core...sign a big bat for the outfield...Brink up Mancini....I would not be surprised if this team is 5 out of the division and within a game of the wildcard 8/1/16.

Archived