Crush surpassed his 2014 HR and RBI totals last night

Frobby

Does anyone see the irony in offering a flawed power hitter at LEAST 17 m a year when we let our team MVP(Cruz) go for less annually over a 4 year contract?Sure, he's much older than Davis and he's had some problems staying in the lineup over the years, but it shows you that the deal that Seattle made is actually a much more reasonable deal that someone will offer Davis, maybe even us.

I'd offer Davis more years than I'd have been willing to offer Cruz, due to his age. However, I think you may turn out to be right that some team will offer Davis an amount that is crazy. I'm going to table my participation in this discussion while waiting to see how Davis does the rest of the year. In mid-June, when Davis had a .763 OPS, I opined that no team should offer him 4/$65 mm if he continued hitting at that rate. Now his OPS is up to .834. The way Davis streaks and slumps, he could finish 75 points higher or lower than he is right now. So, there's no point in speculating now.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone see the irony in offering a flawed power hitter at LEAST 17 m a year when we let our team MVP(Cruz) go for less annually over a 4 year contract?Sure, he's much older than Davis and he's had some problems staying in the lineup over the years, but it shows you that the deal that Seattle made is actually a much more reasonable deal that someone will offer Davis, maybe even us.
I have more confidence that Davis will be worth his contract over the next four years than I do Cruz. We will see how reasonable Cruz' contract becomes. And he is also a flawed power hitter.

The difference between signing a four-year-deal with a 30-year-old and a 34/35-year-old is massive. The attrition rate between age 30 and 35 is probably (and I'm just guessing) 80%. Most Hall of Famers wouldn't be worth Cruz' contract.

Davis is six year younger but I understand your point. The Orioles shouldn't offer a deal more than 4 years, $60 million for him. If that's not enough, just give him the qualifying offer and let him go.
I'd offer Davis more years than I'd have been willing to offer Cruz, due to his age. However, I think you may turn out to be right that some team will offer Davis an amount that is crazy. I'm going to table my participation in this discussion while waiting to see how Davis does the rest of the year. In mid-June, when Davis had a .763 OPS, I opined that no team should offer him 4/$65 mm if he continued hitting at that rate. Now his OPS is up to .834. The way Davis streaks and slumps, he could finish 75 points higher or lower than he is right now. So, there's no point in speculating now.

By the end of the year Davis will have been worth roughly 13 wins over the previous four years. I'm guessing someone is going to value him at 3-4 wins/year, maybe something like 4.5, 4, 3.5, 3, 2.5 over five years, for a total of 17.5 wins, or $123M. That's my guess, somewhere between 4/100 and 5/125. And the Orioles pick up the pick for the declined QO.

Some people wanted him non tendered this past winter, some wanted him traded as recent as last week. Some are probably still unhappy that we didn't do either. Some hate him because they think he's a PED guy. Go figure. It's baseball. Today he looked like the 2013 Crush.

Funny stuff, right? It is so easy to be supportive AFTER things go right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he will regress to his mean which when he retires, no matter when that is, will be in the neighborhood of 30 HR, 90 RBI, .800 OPS, for 162 G season.

I think he will regress to his mean which when he retires, no matter when that is, will be in the neighborhood of 30 HR, 90 RBI, .800 OPS, for 162 G season.

What's that worth with the diminished power trend??????

Archived