What would you offer Heyward?

El Gordo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something to keep in mind is Heyward is still very young (will be under 27 entering next season).

A team could offer him a fairly generous contract with an opt-out after years 3 or 4. He'd still be under 30 at that point and probably highly inclined to take it unless he seriously underperforms for what ought to be his prime years.

Orioles could offer him something like 8/160 [3/50 + 5/110]. I'd still be shocked to see the Orioles offer anyone that kind of contract, I don't think they'll be willing to do the ~6/100M deal that CD will command.

Good point, if you include the opt-out you can mask the true value of the deal. Wouldn't it be something if the team gets Heyward AND resigns Davis... but I still like the idea of going after a TOR pitcher.

Bleacher Report has Heyward getting 10/225. These contracts are starting to balloon really quickly. Manny will be getting 25 a year, easy

Manny will ask for... wait for it... "Stanton money". Just because. I'm hoping for a $25 mil/year compromise.

What is the absolute largest contract the Orioles have ever signed. Not were rumored to have offered What is the biggest contract they have had in history?

I expect they don't exceed that.

Especially since there is no evidence that the MASN case will be resolved in their favor to give them the giddiness of divine optimism.

Manny will ask for... wait for it... "Stanton money". Just because. I'm hoping for a $25 mil/year compromise.

I'd love to sign him to that deal.

2015: $6.5 million

2016: $9 million

2017: $14.5 million

2018: $25 million

2019: $26 million

2020: $26 million

2021: $29 million

2022: $29 million

Player option

2023: $32 million

2024: $32 million

2025: $32 million

2026: $29 million

2027: $25 million

2028: $25 million option ($10 million buyout)

O's get him for the entity of his probable peak then he opts out and someone else pays for the decline.

Heyward is significantly better defensively then Nick ever was.

To put it simply he provides quality center fielder level skill in right field.

His numbers last seasonfor WAR were inflated because of his great RF this season he is at just 1.96 compare to 2.56 last season he mus have lost a few steps to drop that far. RF again is a terrible stat as well to look at for defense. In the last 10 years the top 5 single season range factors include these outfielders. Nelson Cruz, COry Hart, Jay Bruce, Shane Victorina and Jason Heyward. I can't see to many people saying they were great defensive outfielders. I know Heyward is a very good defending put when one of the key stats to defensive war is RF and the top right fielders during a season over the last 5 years show Hart, Cruz and Bruce as the top guys you have to wonder.

Not to mention that Alvarez isn't tearing up AAA, has horrendous discipline, and his defense outside of his arm is in question by the organization.

Yeah, it's a crazy opinion.

Heyward walked more often from April-June of his age 20 rookie year than Alvarez has in his US professional career.

His numbers last seasonfor WAR were inflated because of his great RF this season he is at just 1.96 compare to 2.56 last season he mus have lost a few steps to drop that far. RF again is a terrible stat as well to look at for defense. In the last 10 years the top 5 single season range factors include these outfielders. Nelson Cruz, COry Hart, Jay Bruce, Shane Victorina and Jason Heyward. I can't see to many people saying they were great defensive outfielders. I know Heyward is a very good defending put when one of the key stats to defensive war is RF and the top right fielders during a season over the last 5 years show Hart, Cruz and Bruce as the top guys you have to wonder.

Why would anyone look at range factor? Tons of biases.

Heyward is a .780 career OPS guy. The defense and OBP are nice but there's no way I'm giving him the 20+ million per it'll take.

Break the bank for Manny, sign Parra to a reasonable three year deal and try to sign an ace.

Heyward is a .780 career OPS guy. The defense and OBP are nice but there's no way I'm giving him the 20+ million per it'll take.

Break the bank for Manny, sign Parra to a reasonable three year deal and try to sign an ace.

Heyward has basically the same OPS as Adam Jones. No reason we can't sign Heyward and Manny imo. ACe pitchers are too expensive and too breakable for me. Put decent pitchers behind our defense.

Heyward has basically the same OPS as Adam Jones. No reason we can't sign Heyward and Manny imo. ACe pitchers are too expensive and too breakable for me. Put decent pitchers behind our defense.

I would sign Heyward to Jones' deal in a heartbeat. He's probably getting twice that amount.

Jones - 6 yr, $85.5 mil

Heyward - 8 yr, $171 mil?

Incidentally, I have read nothing to date that links the Orioles to Jason Heyward. There is plenty of course about the Cardinals possibly extending him, and really, they should.

Saint Louis Post Dispatch - July 23, 2015

“Offensively, his profile changed,” Cards GM John Mozeliak said at spring training. “He went from a power hitter to a leadoff hitter, with an emphasis of getting on base. Will he hit for power, or is he a leadoff man? That’s the $100 million question.”

The $100 million was a reference to Heyward’s contract status. He can become a free agent after the season, and the Cardinals obviously have an interest in extending the relationship. But what exactly would the Cardinals be paying for?

Re-signing Parra and/or Chris Davis after an evaluation period and getting a pitcher is much more realistic than fighting through teams to woo Heyward to Baltimore. Don't get me wrong -- if they decide to pay for Heyward, I'll be happy -- I'm just saying not to expect it.

Archived