Stan "The Fan" Charles: Failing To Re-Sign Chris Davis Could Set Orioles Back For Years

PressBoxOnline

Truly? Even with all our FA gone as so many of posters believe? (not saying I agree they're all gonna go)

I think that Dan will find a way to "retool" this team for next season. I think we could see some creative trades and/or signings that will replace the free agents we lose.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we have to open up the vault, I'd rather get Machado locked up long term first. Then extend Jones for a few more years. He took a team friendly deal once. Now let's reward him with a few more years of guaranteed money. Keep that man happy.

If we did those two things and didn't re-sign any our FA's, I'd be thrilled about this upcoming offseason.

I agree that extending Machado is the most important offseason priority.

But if this franchise wants to be a consistent winner, it's either going to have to develop a much more productive farm system or it's going to have to pay market value for a good player sooner or later.

I agree with this second paragraph. (and yes I also agree Manny is the cornerstone of this team moving forward, but I don't think THIS offseason with all the holes we have to fill is the one where he gets extended. Anyone thinking otherwise better be prepared for disappointment.) I think the Orioles need to pony up at some point, but whether Davis is THAT guy or not I am really not sure about. Right now he's red hot and the thought of a 6/100 type deal sounds reasonable. But earlier in the season when he was striking out at record pace, no one wanted him back.

I just want people to remember these countless threads saying how no one wants Chen, Davis, O'Day, Wieters back when all of a sudden in the offseason the "Peter Angelos is cheap and we never sign free agent" threads start popping up, per the norm.

Jones is signed through 2018 and Manny 2019 I believe. They are not priorities this offseason. Not sure why everyone keeps saying they are?

First, I don't see where folks are calling Jones a priority. The quoted suggested tacking on a few more years to his deal to lock him up as part of an offseason plan. On the other hand, Manny has been suggested as a priority signing as he is in the midst of a break out season. If he gets another season or two like this on his resume, he's going to be in line for a deal that will far outpace anything the O's will entertain. He's labeled a priority sign this offseason because he is if you desire to see him in an O's uniform during the prime years of his career.

Jones is signed through 2018 and Manny 2019 I believe. They are not priorities this offseason. Not sure why everyone keeps saying they are?

Because the only way we afford Machado is by buying out several of his arbitration years. If he doesnt sign this off season and has an all star 2016 year, he will be a FA. And I truly believe barring serious injury, Machado will make the Hall. I would like a majority, if not all, of his carrier played in Baltimore.

No truer two thoughts. We can't continue to let guys walk and not replace them with our own cheap home grown talent. Problem is as you said we don't have a productive farm system. We'll just end up wasting money playing inflated FA prices for lesser players because that's the only option we have. I'd be pissed if I'm Jones, Hardy and Machado if we don't sign at least two of our guys.

Your last sentence makes my point about the "we have to extend Manny" crowd. If you're Manny or Jones and you see Duke let half the team walk this year, what incentive do you have to extend? None. Manny will ride out his deal and then sign with the Yanks for 200 Million bucks. Why stay here if the Orioles are unwilling to build around you?

Truly? Even with all our FA gone as so many of posters believe? (not saying I agree they're all gonna go)

I think Wieters gets signed.

Wieters/Joseph

Mancini?

Schoop

Hardy

Machado

Parra

Jones

Free agent signing

Paredes

Tillman

Gausman

Gonzo

Ubaldo

Wilson

Britton

Roe

Givens

Brach

I think that is a good enough team to compete next year.

Chris Davis has been a huge part of this multi-year run, but he presents a real dark-side downside that we saw last year and I would be very skeptical of his production in the 2H of a six or seven year contract. I hardly see his signing as critical. We have seen tremendous growth from Schoop and we are still looking at some tremendous opportunities to improve the team next year in LF, RF, DH and one of the SP slots.

Chris Davis has been a huge part of this multi-year run, but he presents a real dark-side downside that we saw last year and I would be very skeptical of his production in the 2H of a six or seven year contract. I hardly see his signing as critical. We have seen tremendous growth from Schoop and we are still looking at some tremendous opportunities to improve the team next year in LF, RF, DH and one of the SP slots.

Yup...this is what I was trying to say earlier in my "re-tooling" comment. The core of Jones, Hardy, Schoop, Machado, Tillman, Gausman, Britton, will still be intact. We'll also have Brach, Givens, Garcia, and probably Bundy in the pen. We'll have Joseph behind the plate, and will have Gonzo & Jimenez still in the rotation. I hope that they are 4 and 5 as we add another starter to the mix.

I don't think the O's will be as desperate as many think.

Yup...this is what I was trying to say earlier in my "re-tooling" comment. The core of Jones, Hardy, Schoop, Machado, Tillman, Gausman, Britton, will still be intact. We'll also have Brach, Givens, Garcia, and probably Bundy in the pen. We'll have Joseph behind the plate, and will have Gonzo & Jimenez still in the rotation. I hope that they are 4 and 5 as we add another starter to the mix.

I don't think the O's will be as desperate as many think.

I agree with this.

Trouble is the kool-aid drinkers need something to piss and moan about.

Archived