O's LH pitching prospects

stef

I really liked Ayers when he was drafted, but I can't remember why. Might watch some film later.

Me too. I remember being very happy we were able to sign him. With his scouting profile, I had assumed he'd do very well out of the gate in the low minors. But that hasn't happened; has anyone seen him in person and can comment? Has he not shown the same stuff he showed as a senior in HS?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LHP Daniel Ayers has a 1.86 era over his last 10 outings in Aberdeen. 10 ks and 0 walks in his last 6 ip. Looks like he is starting to find his groove.
IIRC he was a pretty big recruit with a commitment to IU? It would be nice to see him put it all together. This year would have been just his soph year in college.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/blog/field-of-weams/566/tony-pente-talks-daniel-ayers-

Tony-OH

Ayers has pitched 42 innings this season and has a 3-0 record, one save and a 0.83 ERA. He has struck out 80 batters, while issuing just 23 walks. This past month, he was ranked No. 175 on the Baseball America 2013 Draft Top 250 Scouting Report.

In the first game of the 2013 season, Ayers fanned 14 of the first 15 batters against Fishers High School. He then had a 13-K, one-hit performance against Bloomington North High School and threw another one-hitter against rival Columbus East, tallying 10 K's in that game. He struck out a season-high 16 batters against Perry Meridian. Ayers went on to toss three consecutive complete-game shutouts.

Ayers is listed as having a low-90's fastball and was named preseason honorable mention All-American. He carries a No. 2 ranking among high school players in the state of Indiana by Prep Baseball Report.. In 2012, Ayers was an all-state honorable mention and first team all-conference.

- Although Ayers doesn?t require much physical projection at 6?3?, 205 pounds, the fact that he already features two plus pitches makes it less of a concern.

While the left-hander?s stuff has fallen off a bit over the course of the spring, he?s still shown a live fastball in the low-90s that?s reached 94 mph. Ayers? curveball remains one of the more underrated secondary pitches in the class, as it?s a true swing-and-miss offering in the upper-70s and effective against both right- and left-handed hitters.

The biggest thing that is holding him back has been his location. Has been wild which was the same story in hs. When he is in the zone he rarely gets hit hard. His breaking ball is really effective. 5 of his 6 strikeouts in his last outing were on that pitch. I watched him throw twice in spring training and was dominant. If he harnesses his location look for him to move quickly. Still believe they want him to be a starter.

The biggest thing that is holding him back has been his location. Has been wild which was the same story in hs. When he is in the zone he rarely gets hit hard. His breaking ball is really effective. 5 of his 6 strikeouts in his last outing were on that pitch. I watched him throw twice in spring training and was dominant. If he harnesses his location look for him to move quickly. Still believe they want him to be a starter.

Thanks for the report. I guess if we had to pick our poison, probably better that control is the issue than a regression of his stuff. We could certainly use another LH pitching prospect...

I always wondered specifically with pitchers with location problems. If they took away all pitches except the fastball and not till they could throw the fastball repeatedly for a strike if that approach would work. I know the Mariners had a program like that in place for all pitchers at rookie up to high a ball. I wonder if they see results from that?

Good news. The day of the OP (8/6), Ayers had his best outing of the year: 4IP/2H/0BB/6K, 50 pitches.

Small world item: my brother-in-law was one of his high school teachers and said he lived and breathed baseball.

Good news. The day of the OP (8/6), Ayers had his best outing of the year: 4IP/2H/0BB/6K, 50 pitches.

Small world item: my brother-in-law was one of his high school teachers and said he lived and breathed baseball.

I was his HS/travel ball coach. His last outing was pretty bad. In his defense he was battling some sickness and fatigue.

Chris Lee tossed 6 more innings of shutout ball today. He is at 3.18 ERA in 124 IPs. His K/BB numbers are not great, but he is getting better with each promotion he gets. He is also 6'4" and 175 lbs. He might add velocity with some added weight.

Gunkel has recently started to get some attention around here, but Lee deserves some more too. Along with Richard Rodriguez, DD acquired three nice prospects in season. It's a shame Rowen had an opt out and the catcher from the dodgers got hurt. We also added Miranda and Mederos mid season. Since the Webb and Snider trades DD has really done a great job with the minors.

Just a quick note on Daniel Ayers, he's clearly quite talented and the O's seem to be high on him as well (the promoted him to Aberdeen after his age 19 season). That being said, he's still young and has much to prove. For example, his WHIP is the highest of any of the 18 active pitchers on the Ironbirds. Let's not go overboard on him yet. I will root for him though!

• 2 weeks later...

o

17 OUTS: 9 Groundouts, 5 Strikeouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Flyout

CHRISTOPHER U. LEE O(vs. AA-New Britain, 8/26)

IP:. 5.67

H:;; 2 l(2 Singles)

R:l) 0

BB: 4

SO: 5

Pitches: 100 (55 Strikes, 45 Balls)

2015 ERA: 2.15 l(AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

18 (11 Strikes, 71 Balls)

16 (10 Strikes, 61 Balls)

12 (71 Strikes, 51 Balls)

27 (14 Strikes, 13 Balls)

11 (41 Strikes, 71 Balls)

16 (91 Strikes, 71 Balls) *

* Lee recorded 2 outs before departing in the 6th inning.

Archived