vs. RAYS, 8/31

OFFNY

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• No earthly way I trade 6 years of a top 20 prospect, catcher or first base, for 2.5 years of a guy who has made 17 major league starts.
    • I never said that and do not believe any of that as Rubenstein didn't even have control of the franchise at that time. And you better believe that if it was still in Angelos hands he would not allow Rubenstein much of any input until ALL of the risk/liability was transferred to Rubenstein. I love your use of the word "methodical" there to describe John Angelos. I have some of other words for it - cheap, miserish, greedy, moneygrubbing, tightwad, terrible, awful ... just to name a few...lol
    • I think the vast majority of people think that playoffs in any professional sport is a crap shoot. I also don't think you'll find anyone on this board that doesn't want to make any additions to this roster. I just take issue with an argument that says there is no way the Orioles could win the WS with their pitching staff. That's over the top and hyperbolic. Just over the past few years, there have been teams that won the WS with pitching staffs that were as good or worse that the Orioles.  '21 Braves starters 3.84, BP 3.97 '19 Nats 3.53, 5.68 '18 Red Sox 3.77, 3.72 '17 Astros 4.03, 4.27 '15 Royals 4.34, 2.72 '13 Red Sox 3.84, 3.70
    • That's the problem with using your top draft choices to draft the best player available: you can end up with an imbalance that makes it difficult to use all the talent you've got. You can reduce the problem by drafting shortstops, many of whom can move to the right along the defensive spectrum, but they can't all do that. And they can't pitch. You can fix an imbalance of talent by trading talented guys who are likely to be blocked by other, more talented guys. But if you're not willing to do that . . .
    • Yup, he's definitely in the same class.
    • You yourself admit that we need some acquisitions. That means that you agree that the team currently is inadequate. So, inadequate for what? I never said we wouldn’t make the playoffs, I said we would “slowly sink.” that’s neither an overreaction, nor certainly not ridiculous. Let me explain what I mean by “slowly sink.” I don’t think we will continue our same winning percentage, I don’t think we will win 100 games, and I don’t think we will win the division. That’s what I meant. If you disagree with those concerns, then you also think we don’t need to make any acquisitions, because you think we’re going to win as many games whether we do or don’t. But I doubt you disagree with them. Instead I think you probably don’t worry about them because even if all those things happen, we can still make the playoffs, and that’s fine, I agree with that I have no desire to be contentious. But those worries are certainly not ridiculous.
    • In a Divisional Series if we played the Mariners and Burnes pitches games 1 and 4 and Rodriguez pitches games 2 and 5 you would really take the Mariners who are scoring 3.9 runs a game and have an 8 run differential versus the Orioles who score 5.0 runs a game and have an 108 run differential because their third and fourth starters are better than the Orioles?  This is why I say the only thing coming unglued is the general sentiment on this message board.  I think we would heavy favorites against the Mariners in a 5 or 7 game series.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now