vs. NATIONALS, 9/23

OFFNY

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game lastnight sitting in my companies season tickets behind the vistors dugout and something that has stood out to me from last nights games is how much Nats fans get offended that we yell "O" during the national Anthem. I saw quite many shake their head in disgust after O was yelled. I would say it is because of it's an Orioles thing and its a sign of how many Orioles fan were attendance but I have noticed it a couple times before and even had a friend who is a die hard Nats fan say that he finds it offensive. I just don't see the big deal. Anyone else there last night experience this?

I was at the game lastnight sitting in my companies season tickets behind the vistors dugout and something that has stood out to me from last nights games is how much Nats fans get offended that we yell "O" during the national Anthem. I saw quite many shake their head in disgust after O was yelled. I would say it is because of it's an Orioles thing and its a sign of how many Orioles fan were attendance but I have noticed it a couple times before and even had a friend who is a die hard Nats fan say that he finds it offensive. I just don't see the big deal. Anyone else there last night experience this?

maxresdefault.jpg

The anthem itself is from Baltimore. That defended DC in a War that they had lost.

hith-british-burn-washington-dc-200-years-ago-E.jpeg

The anthem belongs to Baltimore. That's why they tried to scrap it in favor of Kate Smith a few years back.

On the heights overlooking D.C., the commander in charge of the city’s defense considered making a second stand. But with his troops scattered in all directions, he ultimately decided to leave Washington at the mercy of the British. They arrived around sunset, prompting a U.S. captain to order the Washington Navy Yard set ablaze, including two warships, much timber and a sawmill. Around the same time, the British burned down a private residence from which some Americans had just fired at them. For the most part, though, the British left private property alone, focusing their attention instead on the city’s government buildings.

Seeking revenge for the sacking of York (present-day Toronto), the British first stopped at the still-uncompleted Capitol, where they piled up furniture in both the House and Senate wings, mixed in rocket powder and applied the torch. Within minutes, flames were shooting out through the windows and roof, damaging not only the congressional chambers, but also the Library of Congress and the Supreme Court, which were located inside. Next, about 150 men marched down Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House, then better known as the President’s House. Upon consuming food and wine that had been set out for 40 people, they stole some souvenirs, like Madison’s medicine chest, and started a new inferno that left the structure a charred mess. The adjacent Treasury building was also burned, although much to their disappointment, the British found no money inside. As they camped that night on Capitol Hill, the glow from the fires could be seen as far away as Baltimore.

Where Francis Scott wrote his poem, after the battle of Baltimore turned in the United States favor.

At dawn, Key was able to see an American flag still waving and reported this to the prisoners below deck. Back in Baltimore and inspired, Key wrote a poem about his experience, "Defence of Fort M'Henry", which was soon published in William Pechin's the American and Commercial Daily Advertiser on September 21, 1814. He took it to Thomas Carr, a music publisher, who adapted it to the rhythms of composer John Stafford Smith's "To Anacreon in Heaven"

Archived