Tim Dierkes of MLBTR predicts Davis contract of 6/144

mdbdotcom

Source? Sources have indicated to a Chicago radio show that it's basically a foregone conclusion that Price will be on the North side. The Cubs need a 3rd starter for the postseason and have plenty of prospects to fill in the lineup.

Bruce Levine on WSCR yesterday or the day before. Same thing I've heard from my buddy who works in the finance portion of the FO.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can't build a winning team in OPACY that only hits 150 HRs. I don't care how much you spend on pitching.

I think you can win in almost any park with almost any strategy. I'm not really convinced that you have to play to your park's tendencies at all to win. Sure, some things are harder to do in some parks, but that's the case for both sides. You may not want to design an offense around high-average players if the park suppresses batting average by 30 points, but you could still do it. You'd just be out-averaging your opponent .280 to .240 instead of .310 to .260. Coors Field is a better HR park than OPACY, does that mean that the Rockies can't win unless they hit 200+ homers? Yankee Stadium used to be 460 to LC and 296 to RF, yet for many years their best player hit right handed and they won pretty much every year.

Let's say that Seattle offers Davis 6/144. And the Cards and O's offer Davis 6/120. Will Davis go to the Mariners?

He has gotten used to winning and he may not want to play for a loser. With Houston, Rangers and Angels in the same division the Mariners near term future is not that bright.

Let's say that Seattle offers Davis 6/144. And the Cards and O's offer Davis 6/120. Will Davis go to the Mariners?

He has gotten used to winning and he may not want to play for a loser. With Houston, Rangers and Angels in the same division the Mariners near term future is not that bright.

Don't you hire Boras because you want the top offer? Also, who's to say the Mariners won't win more games than the O's over the next five years.

Of course he would go with the 6/144 to think otherwise is Ludacris.

I think you can win in almost any park with almost any strategy. I'm not really convinced that you have to play to your park's tendencies at all to win. Sure, some things are harder to do in some parks, but that's the case for both sides. You may not want to design an offense around high-average players if the park suppresses batting average by 30 points, but you could still do it. You'd just be out-averaging your opponent .280 to .240 instead of .310 to .260. Coors Field is a better HR park than OPACY, does that mean that the Rockies can't win unless they hit 200+ homers? Yankee Stadium used to be 460 to LC and 296 to RF, yet for many years their best player hit right handed and they won pretty much every year.

I believe that if you can't homer in OACPY, you can't win the 9 to 8 games that you need to.

Don't you hire Boras because you want the top offer? Also, who's to say the Mariners won't win more games than the O's over the next five years.

I didn't say Chris would be back with the O's. If the Cards offer the same money that the O's do, what makes you think he would not go to the Cards?

I didn't say Chris would be back with the O's. If the Cards offer the same money that the O's do, what makes you think he would not go to the Cards?

What makes me think it is that it is not the top offer. Let's face it, Chris put himself first when he got caught using banned drugs twice. He is likely to look out for himself. Lots of families like Seattle. I'm sure his would too.

If you add Davis' five wins to the Mariners and subtract him from the Orioles there just ain't that much difference between the teams. You could argue the Orioles were the losers in that comp.

You can't build a winning team in OPACY that only hits 150 HRs. I don't care how much you spend on pitching.

Nor can you win with a team that hits 217 HR if it also has the league's 2nd worst OF and 4th worst starting pitching staff. Perhaps a more constructive approach is to try to address problems that clearly exist rather than offer overly general platitudes.

Nor can you win with a team that hits 217 HR if it also has the league's 2nd worst OF and 4th worst starting pitching staff. Perhaps a more constructive approach is to try to address problems that clearly exist rather than offer overly general platitudes.

Need better starting pitching. That's for certain. The offense was fine. The need an .850 OPS replacement for Davis. Other than that, fine. Need much better starting pitching. Not just Vance.

Archived