Tim Dierkes of MLBTR predicts Davis contract of 6/144

mdbdotcom

Bruce Levine on WSCR yesterday or the day before. Same thing I've heard from my buddy who works in the finance portion of the FO.

And yet Boers and Bernstein have sources that basically say it's a foregone conclusion. We'll see.

Three more years of minimum salaries at 3B, SS, INF, LF/RF certainly helps. Plus they have other minimum salary specs in the wings.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nor can you win with a team that hits 217 HR if it also has the league's 2nd worst OF and 4th worst starting pitching staff. Perhaps a more constructive approach is to try to address problems that clearly exist rather than offer overly general platitudes.

What Weams said. They need to maintain the offense and augment the pitching. Sorry, but Span + Zobrist isn't going to maintain the offense like Davis + random COF. You need the power bat in OPACY.

I'm not saying that they need to re-sign Davis at all costs. I'm just saying that replacing Davis with guys like Span and Zobrist isn't good enough.

What Weams said. They need to maintain the offense and augment the pitching. Sorry, but Span + Zobrist isn't going to maintain the offense like Davis + random COF. You need the power bat in OPACY.

I'm not saying that they need to re-sign Davis at all costs. I'm just saying that replacing Davis with guys like Span and Zobrist isn't good enough.

Span and Zobrist in the COF spots with Jaso as the primary DH and Pearce at 1B could be a good enough offense if the pitching is better.

Span and Zobrist in the COF spots with Jaso as the primary DH and Pearce at 1B could be a good enough offense if the pitching is better.

Except that Span is 32 next year and coming off an injury, Zobrist 35 coming off his worst year since 2008, Jaso is 32 and a strict platoon DH who probably can't be counted on to get more than 300 PAs, and we all know the Pearce story. I don't know that I have a ton of other solutions that'll fit the budget, but the chances of a bunch of 30-something Grade B or C free agents pushing the Orioles to victory seems slight. I think I'd rather go all in for Heyward and fill holes with Duquette specials, than spread the same salary among four declining free agents.

Except that Span is 32 next year and coming off an injury, Zobrist 35 coming off his worst year since 2008, Jaso is 32 and a strict platoon DH who probably can't be counted on to get more than 300 PAs, and we all know the Pearce story. I don't know that I have a ton of other solutions that'll fit the budget, but the chances of a bunch of 30-something Grade B or C free agents pushing the Orioles to victory seems slight. I think I'd rather go all in for Heyward and fill holes with Duquette specials, than spread the same salary among four declining free agents.

How about Chris Carter and Pedro Alvarez?

Jay Bruce and Colby Rasmus?

Mitch Moreland and Evan Gattis?

Mitch Moreland and Evan Gattis?

Gattis isn't a free agent for a while, are the Astros souring on his JJ Hardy-like OBP and total inability to play defense? Moreland is kind of interesting, but he's a .258 career hitter who has to hit .275 or .280 to keep his OBP out of the scary range. Is there a reason you're throwing out a bunch of names of guys who have 2014 Jon Schoop plate discipline combined with Mark Reynolds defense?

Archived