Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

Then you're not thinking about it enough. Gausman will be cheaper and under team control longer and just might be more productive. But he will be higher risk, and expose the Orioles pitching at the expense of replacing Davis with a semi-comparable player. This is a deal begging for contemplation and analysis.

Thanks. Of course, I don't think much of Gausman. I'd love for him to become an ace (assuming he stays here) but I don't see it at all. I think he's a sell high candidate.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most baseball fans doesn't even know who Grich is, and I suspect many Oriole fans under the age of 30, have no clue, who he is, either.

Crying shame too.

It is the Hall of FAME. :)

Grich was way better than I thought he was. Why wasn't he more famous? Consistently good versus good with a few gaudy years? No playoff stage? No playoff heroics? Jeter does have an advantage in some counting stats and some amazing post-season moments (ignoring the NY Yankee advantage here). Anyway, Grich had a much better career than I thought he did.

Anyway, I'm only partly teasing about the "Fame" part. It is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Statistics. I definitely don't think it should be the Hall of WAR. I think it's ok and reasonable if two players with very good and fairly equitable careers get weighted differently due to their impact on MLB for fans, etc. Well, maybe slightly differently. :)

WAR does not even come close to shutting down a conversation in my book. But I do believe that if they insist on putting Jeter in the Hall of Fame that they have to put his twin, Bobby Grich, in.

When you start using the transitive property of Hall of Famers you can get some cool results. If Jeter = HOF, Jeter = Grich, therefore Grich = HOF then you also get Lou Whitaker, Graig Nettles, Dwight Evans, Jim Edmonds, Andruw Jones, Reggie Smith and about 175 other guys in Cooperstown in short order. Darrell Evans is Hank Greenberg. Buddy Bell = Willie Stargell. Alan Trammell = Roberto Alomar. John Olerud = Tony Perez. Sal Bando = Lance Berkman = Bill Dickey = Willie Keeler = Robin Ventura. John Olerud = Bill Terry.

It is the Hall of FAME. :)

Grich was way better than I thought he was. Why wasn't he more famous? Consistently good versus good with a few gaudy years? No playoff stage? No playoff heroics? Jeter does have an advantage in some counting stats and some amazing post-season moments (ignoring the NY Yankee advantage here). Anyway, Grich had a much better career than I thought he did.

Anyway, I'm only partly teasing about the "Fame" part. It is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Statistics. I definitely don't think it should be the Hall of WAR. I think it's ok and reasonable if two players with very good and fairly equitable careers get weighted differently due to their impact on MLB for fans, etc. Well, maybe slightly differently. :)

Bobby Grich was born a generation early. Before defensive metrics and an appreciation for OBP. Today he'd be Chase Utley with a longer career and minus the poll citing him as one of the least-liked players in baseball.

When you start using the transitive property of Hall of Famers you can get some cool results. If Jeter = HOF, Jeter = Grich, therefore Grich = HOF then you also get Lou Whitaker, Graig Nettles, Dwight Evans, Jim Edmonds, Andruw Jones, Reggie Smith and about 175 other guys in Cooperstown in short order. Darrell Evans is Hank Greenberg. Buddy Bell = Willie Stargell. Alan Trammell = Roberto Alomar. John Olerud = Tony Perez. Sal Bando = Lance Berkman = Bill Dickey = Willie Keeler = Robin Ventura. John Olerud = Bill Terry.

Maybe it is just that Jeter is undeserving.

Freddie Freeman is much taller and more athletic than Kevin. And he fits out left-handed need.

Freeman is the one guy Atlanta will NOT trade. He's the face of the franchise, and if he had someone protecting him in the lineup, he'd have better numbers.

Maybe it is just that Jeter is undeserving.

Or maybe a lot of people just don't like Jeter (and the Yankees, of course). If he had been an Oriole, 100% of the board would be supportive of Jeter in the HOF.

Personally, I hate the Yankees. A lot. But I think Jeter should be in the Hall of FAME, for sure.

I wonder how WAR stands up against the proprietary Metrics most teams use. I suspect it is relatively crude in comparison.

I would be willing to bet that in most cases it's very comparable. But probably a few outliers. 80-90% of the time UZR and +/- and the like agree not only with each other, but also with casual observation.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Not a great park fit RT <a href="https://twitter.com/JSalisburyCSN">@JSalisburyCSN</a>: Phillies are working on trade to acquire RHP Jeremy Hellickson from Az, according to sources</p>— Jason Collette (@jasoncollette) <a href="

">November 14, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Not a great park fit RT <a href="https://twitter.com/JSalisburyCSN">@JSalisburyCSN</a>: Phillies are working on trade to acquire RHP Jeremy Hellickson from Az, according to sources</p>? Jason Collette (@jasoncollette) <a href="
">November 14, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hellickson in that park...yikes!!

Archived