Gausman has another Option year.

weams

I am glad that Gausman has another option, but I hope he gives the team absolutely no reason to use it at any time. He needs to take a big step up this year if the team is going to contend. I have zero doubt that he will be in the Opening Day rotation this year, and won't be removed (for any significant length of time, as opposed to giving him a breather) unless things go horribly wrong.

I don't think giving Chen one short MiL start is anything near equivalent to how the O's handled Gausman last year or in the two previous seasons. If Chen's pride was hurt because the O's did what they thought was best for the team, then he's pretty selfish IMO. The O's have found ways to send Norris, Gonzalez and Jimenez to the minors at various times, either by using options or by putting guys on the DL for very minor injuries. It was made very clear that the use of Chen's option wasn't a reflection on how well he had pitched. I seriously doubt that the O's handling of Chen in that instance has any bearing at all on whether Chen ends up pitching for another team next year. He's got Scott Boras as an agent, and he's going to the highest bidder. Period, end of story.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, now the statement is ludicrous. We can't just disagree o wise one? Lol, bite me.

And now you're deflecting the question about Gausman which was what commented on by two posters to both of whom I responded. The thread btw, is about Gausman having an option, not what happened to Chen last year. It's been fun, though, you must say that.

My post was a direct response to your ridiculous comment that the Chen option move was detrimental to negotiations. Why you decided to make such an absurd post in a thread about Gausman discovering that he has an option remaining is, indeed, a good question, but my discussion with you was singularly about your bizarre assertion. It is amazing that you would continue to dig your hole deeper on this. You made an assertion that somehow optioning Chen last year hurt negotiations with him this year, and you were called on it.

My post was a direct response to your ridiculous comment that the Chen option move was detrimental to negotiations. Why you decided to make such an absurd post in a thread about Gausman discovering that he has an option remaining is, indeed, a good question, but my discussion with you was singularly about your bizarre assertion. It is amazing that you would continue to dig your hole deeper on this. You made an assertion that somehow optioning Chen last year hurt negotiations with him this year, and you were called on it.

I made one comment and followed it up. You're the one who keeps going back to it. Talk about beating a dead horse. Again, you still haven't commented about Gausman and whether it's a good idea if they use the same strategy to option him as a roster move. It's the third time you've avoided the question while calling me ridiculous and bizarre over something unrelated.

:bs: Just pitch. When you're handed the ball in Baltimore or Norfolk or West bum f Idaho. Just pitch. Develop that!

I feel this way, particularly believe about relief pitchers.

I've said before that I have no problem with primary closers that get the majority of the saves (between 75% and 90%) for a team ...... but I also believe that all of the other pitchers in the bullpen (or at least 3 or 4 of them) should each have at least a few saves per year themselves, and that the team's closer should occasionally come into a game and pitch an inning or 2 in the middle of a game (between the 4th and 7th innings) if a manager feels that that happens to be a crucial point in the game, and he needs a stop/shutdown from his very best relief pitcher at that point.

I don't see that scenario playing out anytime soon, but I see no reason not to apply it (other than financial purposes for players and their agents who are trying to maximize their value by padding their statistics) ...... I get really annoyed when I hear closers and/or sportscasters say that they cannot pitch as well in non-save situations as they can in save situations because they can't replicate the competitive juices in said situations. You're a major league pitcher in a profession in which the average player makes more than $4 Million per year, for crying out loud. Go out there and pitch as best you can whenever the manager feels he needs you.

I made one comment and followed it up. You're the one who keeps going back to it. Talk about beating a dead horse. Again, you still haven't commented about Gausman and whether it's a good idea if they use the same strategy to option him as a roster move. It's the third time you've avoided the question while calling me ridiculous and bizarre over something unrelated.

I attempted to end it. I told you that saying that I disagreed with your assertion that the option of Chen hurt negotiations with him this year was an understatement. It was. You then insisted on pushing until I told you what I really thought, or at least some of what I really think.

As to Gausman... he has discovered that he has an option remaining. OK. Not sure what else there is to say. I neither agree nor disagree with that. If he does, he does. Simple as that. It has, of course, zero to do with whether Chen and Boras would have offered to sign with Baltimore for less than what the market brings them had Chen not been optioned. Zero.

I attempted to end it. I told you that saying that I disagreed with your assertion that the option of Chen hurt negotiations with him this year was an understatement. It was. You then insisted on pushing until I told you what I really thought, or at least some of what I really think.

As to Gausman... he has discovered that he has an option remaining. OK. Not sure what else there is to say. I neither agree nor disagree with that. If he does, he does. Simple as that. It has, of course, zero to do with whether Chen and Boras would have offered to sign with Baltimore for less than what the market brings them had Chen not been optioned. Zero.

Are you dense? My question to you was DO YOU think it's a good idea, considering the way they've handled him, to option him simply as a roster move?

At this point I'm thinking you're so blinded by the Chen debate you want to have you're just not interested in answering. I used to think you had valid viewpoints on most subjects, I'm rethinking that. Carry on.

Are you dense? My question to you was DO YOU think it's a good idea, considering the way they've handled him, to option him simply as a roster move?

At this point I'm thinking you're so blinded by the Chen debate you want to have you're just not interested in answering. I used to think you had valid viewpoints on most subjects, I'm rethinking that. Carry on.

Tired of responding to classy "bite me" and "you are dense" comments.

Yeah, I think that we all (myself included) sometimes lose focus of the big picture.

When you think about it, it is kind of ludicrous to think that a man with Scott Boras as his agent would have stayed with one team (the Orioles) for $5 or $6 Million less per year than he is being offered by another team(s) if they had not "dissed" him by sending him down to the minors for one start for roster purposes ...... "Me and Scott were going to give you guys a big hometown discount in my free agent year, but after you made that insulting move back in June, you can forget it."

Home town. Kaohsiung City, Taiwan.

That's what they told Jake before sending him to Chicago, I believe...

I think they said, hold those runners on when you put them on and don't give up the homers in these smaller AL East parks. Or something. Also, don't crossfire. "You'll put your eye out."

I'm comforted to know I'm not the only one he trolls. My advice put him on ignore.

Archived