Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

You think that they thought that a Union Rep would give them a discount?

Has a Union Rep ever given a discount?

Discounts are bad for the Union.

I'd feel better thinking that. Because if they thought the best RP on the market was only getting 3 years, then I wonder if they actually do understand the market value.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd feel better thinking that. Because if they thought the best RP on the market was only getting 3 years, then I wonder if they actually do understand the market value.

Or maybe, they view the process as an commodities trader would as opposed to someone who had a grapefruit fetish.

Never said they don't understand the market. I just believe they think O'Day will give them a discount. Like I said, knowing the market and paying it are two different things. They were hopeful to retain both Davis and O'Day, and I believe they were hoping the Buck factor would play a part. Not shocking they seem to be looking for alternatives now.
Could it be that looking for alternatives is a way of saying take it or leave it? Especially with Davis. Who is offering him more than 6/120 M?

If they are offering 3 years and every one else is offering 4 then it is not a competitive offer. And they would know that.

We've pretty much kept Buck's clubhouse guys around. Hardy, MW, Roberts was given like 10 comebacks. The only one we let go was Markakis. And i think the neck surgery and DD's Toronto fiasco played heavily with that. Just give O'day 4/30 and structure it so some is deferred and his salary number this year is only like 5 million.

At this point why not just keep a strength a strength. We just gave Trumbo 9 million. O'day literally pitches in like 75% of our wins.

Hmm, really?

The "....loved pitching in Baltimore," and "....Buck got the best out of him," are both in the past tense.

Like another poster said in this thread, sometimes you have to prioritize. The BP isn't their most pressing need.

Actually it could be. We aren't going to sign any SP who will do much to upgrade. If we are to compete we need a shut down pen. Signing O'Day may be a cheaper way of improving pitching over all than signing a mid rotation SP.

Darren is a smart guy. I have to think he is weighing pitching for Baker vs Showalter. Baker is a known arm abuser. Buck gives his pitcher rest whenever needed. Britton just said on the Hot Stove last night that if he asked Buck for a game off he always got it.

With O'Day's wife working in Washington, I would think that the Nats and O's have an advantage in O'Day's decision.

To me it seems if the O's are close in their offer to O'Day he will be back.

ATL in the mix?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Leaders for O’Day remain WAS, LAD, ATL, BAL. Sense in industry is that he wants to stay on east coast. Wife works in Fox News D.C. Bureau.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm sure our offer was "competitive" in terms that we made an offer, not that it is comparable to what he will actually get. I hate that they use these terms to try and fool everyone into believing that they're in the running for a player. If he didn't like Baltimore we wouldn't even be in the discussion.

I'm sure our offer was "competitive" in terms that we made an offer, not that it is comparable to what he will actually get. I hate that they use these terms to try and fool everyone into believing that they're in the running for a player. If he didn't like Baltimore we wouldn't even be in the discussion.

It's good to know that you have the inside scoop on how this was handled. High five!

How do you know what their offer is? Couldn't you have made the same statements about Ubaldo or Miguel Tejada or pretty much anyone they've ever signed? And when does anyone sign with a city/team they don't like?

Archived