Don't know about you...but I want Cespedes

Todd-O

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, I don't consider playing golf during the world series as quirky.

Very good hitter, that is true.

But, if teams don't want to keep him, what does that tell you?

4 teams in 4 seasons, is pretty damming evidence.

Just like DD's being out of big league ball for 10 years and Buck getting fired by 3 teams that went on to greater success the next year were. And Delmon's rep and Nelson Cruz getting suspended, etc.

More like three teams really wanted him and were willing to pay for him with talent.

I'm up in Mets territory and spent a lot of the late and post-season in Queens bars watching the team go for it all. He flopped in the Series--as did Murphy, Duda, etc.--but the Mets would have never gotten there without him and I didn't hear any complaints at all about his attitude toward teammates or daily routine. He was looked upon by the fans as a great gift from the FO.

Just like DD's being out of big league ball for 10 years and Buck getting fired by 3 teams that went on to greater success the next year were. And Delmon's rep and Nelson Cruz getting suspended, etc.

Well, for one, Buck was fired by the Yankees for refusing to fire his entire coaching staff, in order to keep his job. King George was in his hayday and micromanaging.

Teams are infatuated with him, until they get him, in their mix, and they find out, they don't like him as much as they thought and they moved on.

Almost like the pretty girl in school with curls, and after a few dates, you find out, that it wasn't all that, and you moved on.

Sorry, I don't consider playing golf during the world series as quirky.

Very good hitter, that is true.

But, if teams don't want to keep him, what does that tell you?

4 teams in 4 seasons, is pretty damming evidence.

Yes, playing golf is a horrible thing - punishable by death in certain cultures. He's lucky to be alive.

Yes, playing golf is a horrible thing - punishable by death in certain cultures. He's lucky to be alive.

Sorry, but he has a hurt shoulder and his team is in the WS, that should take precedent overall other physical activity.

Just my opinion.

Not a dang thing wrong with golf, I question his priority system, thats all.

Sorry, but he has a hurt shoulder and his team is in the WS, that should take precedent overall other physical activity.

Just my opinion.

Not a dang thing wrong with golf, I question his priority system, thats all.

For all you and I know, it could have been therapeutic for him. Hitting a golf ball is underhanded (in the physical sense) and uses different muscles in the shoulder than throwing underhanded. As probably half the male population over 30 has, I had a torn rotator cuff and had no problem golfing but was physically unable to play baseball or basketball.

Btw, if you followed Michael Jordan at all, you know that when he played in his first Olympics, he'd play an Olympic game, stay out all night, and then... play 18 plus holes of golf.

Well, he pretty much averaged 3 WAR from 2012-2014, and average of a tick under 2.9. He was at 6.7 last year. His floor has been 2.4. He also allows you to get the best value of Mark Trumbo by playing him at 1B. If I'm reading the stats right, he's a plus left fielder as well so he would upgrade the defense. Just Upton isn't a game changer either. In fact, he's less valuable than Cespedes. Cespedes is a safer bet than Chris Davis, gets better value out of Trumbo, and most likely requires less than 7/154 to sign, and no pick lost. Unfortunately, the Orioles never had any intention of signing any major hitter besides Chris Davis.

Wait, how is upton less valuable than cespedes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For all you and I know, it could have been therapeutic for him. Hitting a golf ball is underhanded (in the physical sense) and uses different muscles in the shoulder than throwing underhanded. As probably half the male population over 30 has, I had a torn rotator cuff and had no problem golfing but was physically unable to play baseball or basketball.

Btw, if you followed Michael Jordan at all, you know that when he played in his first Olympics, he'd play an Olympic game, stay out all night, and then... play 18 plus holes of golf.

What does that MJ part have to do with anything?

He wasn't injured and sitting out because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're vastly underestimating what can go wrong playing golf IMHO. It can be very hard on certain parts of the body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is true. Hitting yourself in the head with your golf club when you miss a putt is much worse, particularly when most golfers don't wear helmets. :laughlol:

Archived