Baseball Prospectus' Top 101 Prospects List Includes Two Orioles

PressBoxOnline

First off there is no telling how much impact the injury had on his offense.

Secondly the offensive bar for catcher is a lot lower.

Even as a CI/PH he manged to play parts of four seasons in the majors. I bet a .685 OPS gets you a decently long career if you can catch.

Roughly Calebs career to date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's why keeping our 14th pick means nothing. These guys have no clue who to draft. This goes back to 2009 when we picked Matt Hobgood at # 5. No other team had him in the top 20 at the time! Zach Wheeler was drafted right after him. Everyone had him in the top 10 and many in the top 5. Nuff said!

You realize that different people are making the picks, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just sad. Even more sad is that Duquette is going to flush our #14 pick for some blah starting pitcher. Can't draft of you don't have draft picks. And we can't develop unless they're elite hitters or eventual relievers.

Whats more sad, you are jumping the gun a bit.

Let's see if he actually does it, before we complain about it.

I know he has been linked, both insider and sports media market, however, so far, he has been saying, he isn't giving up the pick for what's available now.

First off there is no telling how much impact the injury had on his offense.

Secondly the offensive bar for catcher is a lot lower.

Even as a CI/PH he manged to play parts of four seasons in the majors. I bet a .685 OPS gets you a decently long career if you can catch.

I believer Bob Boone once held the all time record for games caught, and his career OPS was .661.

Red Sox: Moncada (3), Devers (35), Espinosa (73), Kopech (98)

Rays: Snell (21), Honeywell (52), Guerrieri (84), Robertson (88)

Yankees: Judge (18), Mateo (65), Sanchez (92)

Jays: Alford (44), Greene (100)

Nats: Giolito (3), Turner (13), Robles (29), Lopez (75)

Orioles: Harvey (58), Bundy (69)

Teams that look loaded:

Dodgers: 6 players including nos. 1 & 6

Phillies: 6 players including no. 4

Rockies: 7 players (20 is highest)

Braves: 6 players (27 is highest)

Cubs: 6 players (41 is highest)

Rangers: 5 players including nos. 5, 8 and 15.

Pirates: 5 players (11 is highest)

Comment from BP's Craig Goldstein:

I'm a huge fan of Jomar Reyes and really believe in the bat. If you buy into his ability to stick at third base, getting aggressive with him makes sense. Our group had some concerns about his ability to do that, as well as the track record only taking him as far as Low-A - granted, at a young age. The issue is that if he's, say a 50 hit/60 power guy at first base, how valuable is that? Obviously at the hot corner, that's a huge boon. Ultimately, he's another one of the just missed guys, so you should see come content coming on him as well, and he's one of my favorites to jump up this list in the coming season.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=1310

I would love to see the rankings from a parallel universe in which Reyes (just missed) was a Red Sock and Rafael Devers (#35) was an Oriole.

They were both 3B regulars in the Sally last year, among the league's youngest players. Our guy's actually four months younger.

Devers 288/329/443 vs. Reyes 278/334/440

Devers BB%/K% 5/17 vs. Reyes 6/22

The sense seems to be Devers is going to have to shift across the diamond too. It's a head to head it'll be interesting to follow in 2016, because with a normal year, Devers is probably going into the Top 20 overall on 2017's lists.

Oh, it gets worse if you look back further than 2009.

In 2006 we draft Billy Rowell at number 9 though we got Britton at like 85.

pick 10 was Timothy Lincecum

2005 we draft Brandon Snyder at number 13, Ellsbury goes at 23.

2004 we draft Wade Townsend at number 8, Jered Weaver goes at 12

It gets worse if you look harder. Same is probably true for most teams however.

These are all gross. But Townsend and Weaver... tough to fault the Orioles necessarily... However, the Hobgood pick. Yeah. I'm wondering who was on acid that day in the Warehouse.

That's why keeping our 14th pick means nothing. These guys have no clue who to draft. This goes back to 2009 when we picked Matt Hobgood at # 5. No other team had him in the top 20 at the time! Zach Wheeler was drafted right after him. Everyone had him in the top 10 and many in the top 5. Nuff said!

There is so much wrong with this statement I'm not sure where to start. The logic that the 14th pick in the draft means nothing because prior picks have failed--let's ignore the ones that did--is prosperous.

Also these aren't the same guys drafting

Red Sox: Moncada (3), Devers (35), Espinosa (73), Kopech (98)

Rays: Snell (21), Honeywell (52), Guerrieri (84), Robertson (88)

Yankees: Judge (18), Mateo (65), Sanchez (92)

Jays: Alford (44), Greene (100)

Nats: Giolito (3), Turner (13), Robles (29), Lopez (75)

Orioles: Harvey (58), Bundy (69)

Teams that look loaded:

Dodgers: 6 players including nos. 1 & 6

Phillies: 6 players including no. 4

Rockies: 7 players (20 is highest)

Braves: 6 players (27 is highest)

Cubs: 6 players (41 is highest)

Rangers: 5 players including nos. 5, 8 and 15.

Pirates: 5 players (11 is highest)

Aaron Judge (Yankees Prospect) put up a .777 OPS between AA and AAA at Age 23. He is listed at 6'7, 275 LB OF/DH. Sounds like a DH to me. He K'd 144 times in 124 games. My question, with minor league #'s comparable to Christian Walker how is this guy the no. 18 prospect in baseball?

Archived