Rob Manfred: Fours work better than Fives for scheduling

weams

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No way baseball expands without a shiny new stadium on the tax payer's dime.

It does look like a nice park.

Charlotte is going and city would do it. State of NC would chip in too. It would be quicker and easier to renovate and then have the team move in than build a new stadium. I've driven by it, it's awesome.

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

Yeah but there is the team in Dallas, not so far away.

The distance between Dallas and Houston is about the same as the distance between Washington and New York. So you should be able to put two teams between those cities just like there are in Baltimore and Philadelphia.

Really? Former military I presume? Was it at Mets park or Harbor Park? You're right, no one really cares about the Tides here except for O's fans, who aren't in abundance. That and Norfolk has gone down the toilet, and VA beach has devolved into Ocean City with jets and the military, and Chesapeake is just housing.

What?! I loved Norfolk. One of the most underrated places I've lived. Went to a ton of Tides games and the Ghent area has some killer bars and restaurants. Inwould go back in a heartbeat. In the Jax area now and am not at all fond of it.

What?! I loved Norfolk. One of the most underrated places I've lived. Went to a ton of Tides games and the Ghent area has some killer bars and restaurants. Inwould go back in a heartbeat. In the Jax area now and am not at all fond of it.

Ghent is Ghent and still nice. Area around Nauticus is getting redone, but the rest of the city is slowly becoming Baltimore south

Ghent is Ghent and still nice. Area around Nauticus is getting redone, but the rest of the city is slowly becoming Baltimore south

You mean like power plant Baltimore? I was a huge fan of o'connors' new brewery and smart mouth. I've heard Star Hill is moving into waterside.

You mean like power plant Baltimore? I was a huge fan of o'connors' new brewery and smart mouth. I've heard Star Hill is moving into waterside.

Kinda. Most of the town is slowly becoming more decrepit and old. Nothing new is really going up, as everyone's ran like hell to VA Beach to build and make $ there.

Makes sense. Expand to 32 teams. 8 four team divisions.

It works well in the NFL.

Could work well for scheduling too. You could even have all the teams play each other each season, if you wanted:

4 games vs. each non-division opponent (28 opponents): 112 games. No need to break these into multiple series, just alternate the home team for each series each season and make them all 4 game series.

16 games vs. each division opponent (3 opponents): 48 games. Two four game series home, two away.

Two random non-division teams per year, play a fifth game against them: 2 games.

Total: 162 games. :)

Dell computer headquarters. Startup culture. Austin. Double digit population growth since 2010.

Double-digit population growth since 1850!

I imagine the owners of the AAA Round Rock Express (Nolan Ryan and Co.) would be very sad to see MLB come to Central Texas.

I don't think the idea of placing a team between Austin & San Antonio would fly for MLB. I think neither city would truly adopt the new team.

Austin doesn't care much for baseball, near as I can tell. I'm a rabid baseball fan, and it's rare I can get the bartender to put a game on TV.

The Davis family has threatened to try to put the Raiders in Central Texas. I think that would work better in this area (8 home games vs 81).

Double-digit population growth since 1850!

I imagine the owners of the AAA Round Rock Express (Nolan Ryan and Co.) would be very sad to see MLB come to Central Texas.

I don't think the idea of placing a team between Austin & San Antonio would fly for MLB. I think neither city would truly adopt the new team.

Austin doesn't care much for baseball, near as I can tell. I'm a rabid baseball fan, and it's rare I can get the bartender to put a game on TV.

The Davis family has threatened to try to put the Raiders in Central Texas. I think that would work better in this area (8 home games vs 81).

San Antonio probably would take more to baseball than Austin.

Seems like Tampa would just sink without NY and Bos home games. So if you keep them with NY and Bos who else stays in the four team division. Same is probably true for Tor too. Those 36 games get a lot of out of town fans. So if you move the Orioles out where do they go? Getting rid of the DH would lead to some league homogenization which would allow for a more intriguing realignment.

Archived