Orioles' Chance Sisco Confident He Can Stick At Catcher

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The article pointed out that Sisco was a SS until he decided to make the change to catcher while in HS - he's not a kid who grew up as a catcher or developed his catching skills in college. So he's still very much on the upswing of the learning curve. And now at just turned 22, let's see if that so-called fringey power improves.

Shortstop is a good starting point for a catcher! Catchers have the defensive skill set of the shortstop but without the foot speed and range. Plus, you save your knees quite a bit. Catching CAN be taught!

You need arm strength first and foremost. I recall informing Rudy Arias (one of the Orioles' bullpen catchers and an assistant coach) that my college converted me to catcher. His only question: How is your arm? I started to rattle off accomplishments/statistics and he interrupted me: "I don't care about all that, how is your arm?"

If he has the arm, I'd say another year or two of intense training and we will see his defensive ceiling.

Please teach him to frame.

The question isn't if he can catch now; it's whether he can learn to catch. A year in AAA should make a big difference. As people have pointed out, Caleb Joseph was considered a poor defensive catcher in the minors, and he made himself into a fine defensive catcher. I'm guessing Sisco's tools are at least as good as Caleb's were when Caleb was 22, so it's more than a bit premature to write him off.

Archived