Orioles' Chance Sisco Confident He Can Stick At Catcher

PressBoxOnline

Buck talks all of the time about Jonah Heim and his abilities - for over a year now. Has anyone ever cough positive comments about Sisco?

Buck likes to talk up the abilities of the defense-first guys. It keeps them motivated, and it motivates the offense-first guys to get better at defense.

They had Heim in camp last year - not Sicsco IIRC.

Last year, Heim played in two spring training games and had one AB. Sisco played in one ST game and had one AB.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heim is an extremely advanced defensive back stop. I think his bat is what is questioned.

Heim undoubtedly has better defensive chops than Sisco at this point. Despite that, the Orioles chose to start Sisco at Frederick last year, while Heim started at Delmarva. Sisco had a good offensive year, made progress with his defense, and got promoted to Bowie. Heim got injured, missed about half the season, and was able to finish the year where he started at Delmarva. It will be interesting to see if Heim gets promoted to Frederick to begin the 2016 season, after playing only 43 games in low A last year while posting a .636 OPS.

As to Sisco, he began the year at Frederick by throwing out only 3 of 37 runners (8%) in his first 20 games caught. After that, he threw out 12 of 37 (32%) in his final 36 games behind the plate at Frederick. After his promotion to Bowie, he only had one error and one passed ball in 17 games, and threw out 10 of 25 runners (40%) who attempted to steal. So, I think it is fair to say he made significant progress defensively, even if he still has more work to do.

Heim undoubtedly has better defensive chops than Sisco at this point. Despite that, the Orioles chose to start Sisco at Frederick last year, while Heim started at Delmarva. Sisco had a good offensive year, made progress with his defense, and got promoted to Bowie. Heim got injured, missed about half the season, and was able to finish the year where he started at Delmarva. It will be interesting to see if Heim gets promoted to Frederick to begin the 2016 season, after playing only 43 games in low A last year while posting a .636 OPS.

As to Sisco, he began the year at Frederick by throwing out only 3 of 37 runners (8%) in his first 20 games caught. After that, he threw out 12 of 37 (32%) in his final 36 games behind the plate at Frederick. After his promotion to Bowie, he only had one error and one passed ball in 17 games, and threw out 10 of 25 runners (40%) who attempted to steal. So, I think it is fair to say he made significant progress defensively, even if he still has more work to do.

I think the Orioles are thrilled with where Sisco is right now. He is a top prospect. Jonah is not.

I think the Orioles are thrilled with where Sisco is right now. He is a top prospect. Jonah is not.

I'm not sleeping on Jonah, or Alex Murphy for that matter. It would not shock me if either developed into a major league catcher. But it's going to take quite some time to see how they develop.

I'm not sleeping on Jonah, or Alex Murphy for that matter. It would not shock me if either developed into a major league catcher. But it's going to take quite some time to see how they develop.

Caleb Joseph was not supposed to ever work out either.

Impressive growth there.

Am I reading this right? 99 runners attempted to steal while Sisco was behind the plate, in 71 games? That is an incredible amount. My next question would be, how many of these steals were really against pitchers who were slow to the plate?

Caleb Joseph was not supposed to ever work out either.

As much as the OH potshot the lack of development in our minor league pitchers.

It appears that we need to brag about what they have been able to do with our catching prospects.

Even Clevenger was much better and he realized that he needed better defense to play for Buck.

Am I reading this right? 99 runners attempted to steal while Sisco was behind the plate, in 71 games? That is an incredible amount. My next question would be, how many of these steals were really against pitchers who were slow to the plate?

You are reading that right, and those are high numbers, but attempted steals are more common in the minors than the majors. In the Carolina League, teams averaged 1.29 attempted steals per game, and in the Eastern League, team averaged 1.14 attempted steals per game. Looking at Sisco, runners ran wild on him in his first 20 games when he wasn't throwing anyone out (1.85 attempts/game), but slowed down once he started having success (1.03 attempts/game in his last 36 games). He was heavily tested in the Eastern League (1.47 attempts/game), but my guess is that number will be reduced this year if he continues to throw out runners at a reasonable clip.

FWIW, the average CS rate was 30% in the Carolina League, 33% in the Eastern League.

In Single A, is that really that high of a figure?

• 3 months later...

Archived