Zach Phillips is back (Other Lefties Looming)

weams

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Orioles PR ‏@OriolesPR 40s40 seconds ago

The Orioles have signed LHP Zach Phillips to a one-year contract.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> have signed LHP Zach Phillips to a one-year contract.</p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 23, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">To make room for Phillips on the 40-man roster, LHP Chris Jones has been designated for assignment.</p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 23, 2016</a></blockquote>

Since 2009, the Orioles have had 9 Zachs in their system at either the Major League level or the AAA-level.

8 of those Zachs have been pitchers.

They have also had a "Zech" pitcher (Zech Zinicola.)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/124612-Zach-Zach-another-Zach

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/124612-Zach-Zach-another-Zach/page2

I trust the O's judgment of Chris Jones here - especially since he's known for not having good stuff.

If I recollect correctly, the O's got Jones from the Braves a few years ago for basically nothing because the Braves had very little confidence in his ability to reach the majors.

Based on him not being very good. He doesn't have the stuff that CJ has, for example. He's a career minor leaguer with iffy numbers. He's an organizational lefty and it's not a big deal.

...which is why it was puzzling when they kept him over CJ, for example.

I trust the O's judgment of Chris Jones here - especially since he's known for not having good stuff.

If I recollect correctly, the O's got Jones from the Braves a few years ago for basically nothing because the Braves had very little confidence in his ability to reach the majors.

He was acquired for Luis Ayala, whoM the O's wanted to move to make room for TJM

I am going to join the "losing faith in DD" crowd. Don't like the Phillips addition at the expense of Jones, especially since Phillips (or someone else) will be removed from the bullpen when Matusz is healthy.

He lost me with the Parra trade. If a GM can't accurately access the strengths and weaknesses of their own team, I get worried.

Specifically that is where he lost me. I still think he might be the best we will have under Angelos. He's still good, definitely makes some odd moves though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year in AAA (Charlotte): 3.13 ERA, 1.226 WHIP, 10.5 K/9

I like the signing as a depth move.

Probably not really a depth move. Phillips is out of options. He has been outrighted before so he can refuse an assignment to AAA.

Phillips is here for the rest of ST to see if he can get lefties out. If he does he stays until Matusz is back. If he doesn't he is probably DFA'd before opening day.

He lost me with the Parra trade. If a GM can't accurately access the strengths and weaknesses of their own team, I get worried.

Specifically that is where he lost me. I still think he might be the best we will have under Angelos. He's still good, definitely makes some odd moves though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Parra trade was a tough one for me. I was basically Parra's PR guy before the deadline. Just didn't realize we'd have to give up my favorite milb'er to get him. And then Parra flopped worse than we could have imagined. I'm assuming that we traded Davies because we had a need, and the fact that Wright and Wilson were already contributing at the mlb level.

I don't get why we gave up Chris Jones for a guy that at best is a LOOGY. Especially with a team that could be real desperate for SP. I like the idea of using Tanner Scott as the LOOGY until Matusz is ready to go. Get the innings out of that electric arm while it's healthy.

Probably not really a depth move. Phillips is out of options. He has been outrighted before so he can refuse an assignment to AAA.

Phillips is here for the rest of ST to see if he can get lefties out. If he does he stays until Matusz is back. If he doesn't he is probably DFA'd before opening day.

Y'know, depending on how he looks, he might even be the 13th pitcher for a while. If the team carries 13.

Wesley Wright is healthy, had a good spring and was released.

The left-handed Wright, who’s also 31, was in much the same situation, having thrown less innings but compiled comparable results to LeCure over the four seasons leading up to 2015. But he dealt with shoulder issues last year, limiting his availability significantly.

The veteran southpaw did have a solid spring, at least, allowing only two earned runs and posting eight strikeouts against three walks in 8 1/3 innings.

mlbtraderumor.com

Based on what? The team has lost, I believe, 7 players on waivers this offseason. There are teams that Jones can help, like Anaheim.

And as I said, it makes even less sense if Matusz is back fairly quickly.

He's an average or decent minor leaguer, but he hasn't been able to pitch against ML hitters. Either way, it doesn't matter, he'll pass through and be reassigned to AAA.

Score one for the good guys.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Cory Luebke can opt out of deal with Pirates today. Has not yet been told if he will make the team.</p>— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) <a href="

">March 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

Wesley Wright is healthy, had a good spring and was released.

mlbtraderumor.com

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Left-handed relief market is strong with Brothers, Thatcher, Cotts, Wright, Choate, Torres available. Two teams looking: Orioles, Brewers.</p>— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) <a href="

">March 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

Archived