2016 Attendance Thread

OFFNY

The ONLY excuse is mid-week games are difficult for families and working folk. The Ravens draw despite the weather. Weather is an excuse for weak fans to be bandwagoners.

WE ARE BALTIMORE. Tough, blue collar and hardworking and hard partying. BTW, On April 5 and 6 2000, the Orioles drew 33K and 35K on Tuesday and Wednesday games against Cleveland.

I think most Orioles fans, are taking a wait and see approach to this team. The off season publicity wasn't good. Outside of rabid fan blogs and message boards, Alvarez, Trumbo and Gallardo didn't set off a frenzy of good feeling. Without regard to the their quality, most fans didn't really know these guys.

We all go to 25+ games a year, not including Bowie and Frederick, but many fans only go to a few unless there's already excitement.

Baltimore is a football town first. Still has a good core group of baseball fans but will have to start fast to get the fair weather fans on board.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weather looks nice this weekend.

mid the unseasonable chill, wet snowflakes are forecast to mix in with rain starting late Friday night and continuing into Saturday. Friday night, the snow may be limited to the higher elevations in the western parts of the state, but by Saturday, snow squalls could be intense enough to reach the ground across much of the region, according to National Weather Service forecasters.

The weather service forecasts less than an inch of snow, if any, will accumulate along I-95 and to the south and east. On the other side of the corridor, an inch could fall.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/weather/weather-blog/bal-wx-weekend-freeze-advisories-in-effect-wet-snow-expected-saturday-20160408-story.html

If Cincinnati and Milwaukee can get over 20000 for games 2 and 3 there's no excuse for Baltimore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch highlights of the Reds game yesterday and tell me again how there were 20,000+ people there.

The Orioles fan friendly season ticket holder exchange policy is partially responsible for the extra low attendance of the early games.

I have a 29-game plan and I had tickets to the game tonight and I traded them for the golf umbrella giveaway game on June 7th. I'm not going to watch night games when the temperature is under 50 degrees. The fact that the April Saturday games are not held during the day is absurd.

The Orioles make it easy to choose between watching a game in April when the temperature is under 50 degrees and a game in July when the temperature is in the 80's. And it is not a difficult choice.

Maybe if they made all the April game "value" priced games or scheduled some April giveaway games I would go, but it isn't worth the money to be cold when the HD is on and the beer in my fridge is cold.

The Orioles fan friendly season ticket holder exchange policy is partially responsible for the extra low attendance of the early games.

I have a 29-game plan and I had tickets to the game tonight and I traded them for the golf umbrella giveaway game on June 7th. I'm not going to watch night games when the temperature is under 50 degrees. The fact that the April Saturday games are not held during the day is absurd.

The Orioles make it easy to choose between watching a game in April when the temperature is under 50 degrees and a game in July when the temperature is in the 80's. And it is not a difficult choice.

Maybe if they made all the April game "value" priced games or scheduled some April giveaway games I would go, but it isn't worth the money to be cold when the HD is on and the beer in my fridge is cold.

They do need some promotions in April. FYAO and get one free ticket. I know one of the minor league teams is doing a ticket based on temperature. 50 degrees at game time = $5.00 ticket and so forth. Maybe a Buck bikini night. Joey and friends night. You pay regular price and all friends are half price. Also food promotions like $1.00 dogs ,etc.

Adam Jones pie night. Kim in play. If Kim plays everyone gets in for free to another game. Davis prescription night. Anyone with a prescription to Adderall or similar gets in half price. Mike Bordick homer hankies. Get a proud to be a homer hankie.King for an O'Day night. King pays full price and all his peasants are half price.

The ONLY excuse is mid-week games are difficult for families and working folk. The Ravens draw despite the weather. Weather is an excuse for weak fans to be bandwagoners.

WE ARE BALTIMORE. Tough, blue collar and hardworking and hard partying. BTW, On April 5 and 6 2000, the Orioles drew 33K and 35K on Tuesday and Wednesday games against Cleveland.

I think most Orioles fans, are taking a wait and see approach to this team. The off season publicity wasn't good. Outside of rabid fan blogs and message boards, Alvarez, Trumbo and Gallardo didn't set off a frenzy of good feeling. Without regard to the their quality, most fans didn't really know these guys.

We all go to 25+ games a year, not including Bowie and Frederick, but many fans only go to a few unless there's already excitement.

There are only EIGHT home games - each ticket costs a ton of money, compared to the Orioles, and there are FAR FAR FAR fewer.

Why would you go to a game in the cold and the wet if you ca wait four days and not have to take a day off work or worry about the kids getting up for school the next day?

It is basic.

o

2-GAME SET, vs. D-Rays (April 8th, 10th) *

GAME 1:O 17,304 o(37.6%)

GAME 2:O 23,101 o(50.3%)

_________

2-GAME TOTAL: OO) 40,405

2-GAME AVERAGE: oo 20,203

* Originally a 3-Game Set. One of the Games was Postponed.

Baltimore is a football town first. Still has a good core group of baseball fans but will have to start fast to get the fair weather fans on board.

Not so sure about that. I went to FOUR Ravens games last year, presumably because the Ravens were not good. These tickets were free from PSL holders who simply wanted to unload their tickets and knew I lived close to the stadium. I'm also a Packers fan.

Baltimore is a football town if the Ravens are in contention, just like Baltimore is a baseball town if the Os are in contention.

Not so sure about that. I went to FOUR Ravens games last year, presumably because the Ravens were not good. These tickets were free from PSL holders who simply wanted to unload their tickets and knew I lived close to the stadium. I'm also a Packers fan.

Baltimore is a football town if the Ravens are in contention, just like Baltimore is a baseball town if the Os are in contention.

It doesn't help that it is a lot more pleasant to go to a baseball game (weather permitting) than a football game. You are too far away from the action for football games and football is so much better on tv what with HD and instant replay, that I am surprised that anybody pays to go to NFL games.

I often tailgate for games and I will watch a couple games a year if I get free tickets, but paying for tickets is really unattractive.

As an aside, if you ever get the chance to attend a Ravens game in a suite, I highly recommend it. Best of both worlds, there.

Wasn't a big football town, when the Colts left.

Baltimore is a good baseball town, but you can't compare football attendance to baseball attendance.

Baseball has always been a tough sell in the Spring and Fall, no matter how well the team is doing.

• 2 weeks later...
To be 22nd in attendance is pretty sad no matter what excuses there are. I'm sure it will improve as it gets warmer but still pretty sad. 10-4 team that can't even fill 1/3 of stadium for games.

Early season record has very little impact on attendance, if any at all. If the O's were 4-10 instead, I bet the attendance would be nearly identical.

Early season record has very little impact on attendance, if any at all. If the O's were 4-10 instead, I bet the attendance would be nearly identical.

Agreed. but the Orioles need to somehow market early games better. I don't think they have Ollie's bargain nights anymore.Teams do discounts early in the season. Do a dollar hot dog or dollar soda. Nationals did this :

Celebrate 10 wins with $10 off tickets

With the first-place Nationals celebrating their 10th win of the season Tuesday night, fans can get $10 off all tickets valued at $20 or more for the entire upcoming homestand against the Minnesota Twins (April 22-24) and Philadelphia Phillies (April 26-28).

Don't miss NL MVP Bryce Harper, MLB batting average leader Daniel Murphy, new manager Dusty Baker and the rest of the Nats as they return to Nationals Park for these key interleague and divisional games.

Use code "TEN" at checkout to redeem this exclusive offer.

Not sure if it would help that much but the Orioles know early season games are low draws so some marketing might help.

Archived