Zach Britton, Speaks Out on Steroid use in MLB

MDtransplant757

This thread title and the Schoop resigning thread title are intentionally deceptive. These two posters are getting my first ever neg rep on here. For being lame and posting click bait.

I don't think it was done intentionally at all.

I don't think that it was intentional, either.

I believe that I have a pretty good "Troll-O-Meter" sensor, and the OP (in my rat's ass of an opinion) is far from one.

In fact, he has told us that he is a junior or a senior in high school, and I believe that he has shown a lot of maturity and humility for somebody of his age.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stricter penalties will just make players do a better job of not getting caught. For a "stricter penalty" to even have a chance, it has to involve the player perhaps having to give money back that he earned the same year

the player got busted or something to that effect. I don't see longer suspensions being much of a deterrent considering how easy it is to use and not be caught. The chemists will just get better and the drugs will get

better. In the 90's, the drugs got better in the way of effectiveness. Now, they will get better in the way of being undetectable. Once genetic engineering/modificaton really gets going, it's all over and you can't stop

that train. Forget about drugs at that point and the fight has been lost. All of this is just as much a losing battle as the war on drugs has been, but I know no one wants to hear that and we'll just keep doing what doesn't

work over and over and over and over again and keep wondering why it doesn't work. We'll wake up one day, I hope.

Regardless of the dangerous and extreme ethical considerations related to altering one's genome, it would arguably be much easier to detect those changes than certain drug compounds. You could simply sequence athletes' genomes (albeit a very expensive process at the moment). Modifications would clearly show up as abberant changes in the germline.

Many drugs on the other hand are rapidly cleared, or can be masked, which is why it is so difficult to catch a lot of these cases. Your DNA, not so much.

Melky Cabrera is a walking example of what Zach is talking about.

I will say that MLB at least tries to do its best within the confines of what the player's union will allow re: steroids. As opposed to the constant joke that is the NFL.

That said, I think a first time offender should get a 162 game ban (as well as the playoffs). In addition, I think in regards to HOF eligibility (for guys like ARod, David Ortiz, etc.) they should still be listed on the ballot, but ineligible for voting for the first year. This way it can be a reminder to the writers that these guys cheated.

Attitudes towards various substances change with time and sophistication. The days of reefer madness e.g. are behind us and pot will be legal every where in the not too distant future. The same for PED's IMO. the AMA never wanted steroids to be banned by the FDA, congress did it any way for political reasons. Today the drugs are very sophisticated and the days of the Lyle Alzado horror stories have gone the way of reefer madness. Just how harmful are today's PED's? What evidence do we have? If not then why shouldn't they be available to every one.

Regardless of the dangerous and extreme ethical considerations related to altering one's genome, it would arguably be much easier to detect those changes than certain drug compounds. You could simply sequence athletes' genomes (albeit a very expensive process at the moment). Modifications would clearly show up as abberant changes in the germline.

Many drugs on the other hand are rapidly cleared, or can be masked, which is why it is so difficult to catch a lot of these cases. Your DNA, not so much.

Genetic engineering would be virtually undetectable All it is it injecting artificial genes into muscle tissue that promote increased muscle growth and endurance. They're already done it with mice, but they became extremely

aggressive as well as being stronger and faster than normal mice. We can already re-wire genes. Instead of injecting EPO, for example, we can just introduce an EPO gene that will make the body naturally produce more.

So, the increased levels of EPO will be made entirely by the body and would be completely indistinguishable from the EPO produced by healthy people. This is virtually impossible to detect.

However, gene doping is far more dangerous than simply taking a drug and still has a way to go before it becomes mainstream. It will get there, though. There were already undetectable gene doping tonics floating around

in the Olympics in 2014. It's called full-size MGF. The science is almost there with gene doping and when that happens, good luck. This is not a winnable battle.

Can someone verify if the link won't Rick-roll or send my info to a Nigerian prince? This is click bait of the highest order.
What do you have against Rick-rolling? It's a lovely song.
Not when it's in your head all day long.
I have techniques to avoid that.
What caliber?

And scene!

Quality job, players. Take five.

Melky Cabrera is a walking example of what Zach is talking about.

I will say that MLB at least tries to do its best within the confines of what the player's union will allow re: steroids. As opposed to the constant joke that is the NFL.

That said, I think a first time offender should get a 162 game ban (as well as the playoffs). In addition, I think in regards to HOF eligibility (for guys like ARod, David Ortiz, etc.) they should still be listed on the ballot, but ineligible for voting for the first year. This way it can be a reminder to the writers that these guys cheated.

Papi would swear he is being disrespected.

I don't think that it was intentional, either.

I believe that I have a pretty good "Troll-O-Meter" sensor, and the OP (in my rat's ass of an opinion) is far from one.

In fact, he has told us that he is a junior or a senior in high school, and I believe that he has shown a lot of maturity and humility for somebody of his age.

Senior (whoop whoop!!) and thank you for the compliment

Archived