PED Suspensions Coming

Sessh

I personally would like nothing more than for a caught-red-handed PED offense to basically invalidate Ortiz's entire career (just like Palmeiro).

But that said, if we *really* went digging and were able to identify all illicit substances, who is to say the Orioles wouldn't be as (if not more) red-faced than the rest?

For a while I thought PED users would all be recognizable with their adjustable-band caps to accommodate their growing cranial size, but we soon learned it wasn't just the Cansecos and Bonds and Caminitis, but the Teagardens and Ficks and Gibbons. Guys who apparently needed it just to keep backup jobs in the majors.

For all we know, Flash, Manny, Trumbo, Reimold, Givens, Britton and others might be on the special sauce. Are we so sure about our guys that we want to start turning over other stones? I'm not.

• Upvote 1

I have no evidence that anyone on the Red Sox is using PED's.

NONE.

That should be the end of the story, but it isn't, and its because players are getting busted with some regularity in MLB and the testing system remains very flawed and beatable.

I spoke last night to a person who was involved in the BALCO case and is a physician and he said the testing is much better than it has ever been, but it is still very much behind the chemistry of PED's.

There are numerous examples of PED's that can be ingested and show no trace in the body only hours after taking...and still give the human body a boost in performance and reaction time and explosiveness.

Gummies and wafers that can be taken in the early morning will not show up on any test.

I just know this.

David Ortiz is 40 years old. His bat speed is quicker, and his power is at least what it was in his heydey and maybe better than that.He is on pace for his best season in a decade.

Mookie Betts had 18 HR's last year with nearly 600 at bats. He has 14 in the first two months of this season. The fact that he has had 5 HR's in 2 games is a bit eye opening.

One can argue that Ted Williams hit .316 with 29 HR's t the age of 41.

But THATS Ted Williams.

I know one Boston writer who has a long history with Ortiz and he still wonders how he is doing what he is doing at 40.

I am not accusing anyone of doing anything. But it makes me wonder.

Im not a conspiracy person and dont look at everything as murky or sordid. But weve seen it and heard it before.

A reminder that MOST of the top hitters who were suspended in the past did NOT test positive but were exposed because someone else blew the whistle.

Nothing would surprise me anymore including players using and never being caught.

Again, Im not accusing, only wondering.

I wonder as well and it is just not Ortiz and Betts. I mean Pedroia is having his best year since the mid 2000's as well. Travis Shaw a career .260 hitter in upper minors and 10-15 homers all the sudden is a .300 hitter with 20-25 homers. Bradley same thing. I know these guys were top prospects but when you read the scouting reports of guys like Betts and see great athlete with speed and defense that should be a good contact hitter but won't be anything like a slugger or power guy and now he is on pace to hit 40 homers. It does make you wonder, I think time will tell but if these guys keep this pace the longer they do the more you have to wonder.

I know Altueve came out slugging but the last month he has no homers so that looks more like just a hot spell which happens but if he did it all year it would put up red flags.

I personally would like nothing more than for a caught-red-handed PED offense to basically invalidate Ortiz's entire career (just like Palmeiro).

But that said, if we *really* went digging and were able to identify all illicit substances, who is to say the Orioles wouldn't be as (if not more) red-faced than the rest?

For a while I thought PED users would all be recognizable with their adjustable-band caps to accommodate their growing cranial size, but we soon learned it wasn't just the Cansecos and Bonds and Caminitis, but the Teagardens and Ficks and Gibbons. Guys who apparently needed it just to keep backup jobs in the majors.

For all we know, Flash, Manny, Trumbo, Reimold, Givens, Britton and others might be on the special sauce. Are we so sure about our guys that we want to start turning over other stones? I'm not.

None of the clinic users of the newer doping techniques have ever tested dirty. The biogenesis and Balco groups.

I'm not sure about anyone.

NONE.

That should be the end of the story, but it isn't, and its because players are getting busted with some regularity in MLB and the testing system remains very flawed and beatable.

I spoke last night to a person who was involved in the BALCO case and is a physician and he said the testing is much better than it has ever been, but it is still very much behind the chemistry of PED's.

There are numerous examples of PED's that can be ingested and show no trace in the body only hours after taking...and still give the human body a boost in performance and reaction time and explosiveness.

Gummies and wafers that can be taken in the early morning will not show up on any test.

I just know this.

David Ortiz is 40 years old. His bat speed is quicker, and his power is at least what it was in his heydey and maybe better than that.He is on pace for his best season in a decade.

Mookie Betts had 18 HR's last year with nearly 600 at bats. He has 14 in the first two months of this season. The fact that he has had 5 HR's in 2 games is a bit eye opening.

But THATS Ted Williams.

I know one Boston writer who has a long history with Ortiz and he still wonders how he is doing what he is doing at 40.

Im not a conspiracy person and dont look at everything as murky or sordid. But weve seen it and heard it before.

A reminder that MOST of the top hitters who were suspended in the past did NOT test positive but were exposed because someone else blew the whistle.

Nothing would surprise me anymore including players using and never being caught.

Cooley on the Washington radio has said the NFL testing is a joke, they warn everybody ahead of time, when they are going to be tested, and the ones that are dirty, know what they have to do, to get a clean test.

I guess maybe, the MLB isn't too far from the NFL in this regards.

NONE.

I just know this.

But THATS Ted Williams.

Why wonder about this now?

Always find it funny the same people who were going Cruz at the stadium and cheering him on and loved him. AROD would come up and the fans would go get out of baseball you evil steroid user.

I never thought Cruz stopped. Well, cycled off during those middle months.

NONE.

I just know this.

But THATS Ted Williams.

But Brutus says Caesar was ambitious and Brutus an honorable man. Not accusing but signifying? ;)