PED Suspensions Coming

Sessh

34 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

From TJ Quinn of ESPN:

IMPORTANT ON CANO: players are NOT automatically suspended for using diuretics. The suspension means MLB was able to prove he was using it to mask a drug. Cano tested positive before the season, appealed and dropped the appeal.

That's good information to know.  Felt that this could have been unduly harsh.  So they must have found evidence that he was using a PED and this as a masking agent.  

Just now, atomic said:

Why not?  He breaks his bats over his leg like the bat is a tooth pick.  No amount of steroids is going to make me a major league hitter. You still have to have good reaction times.

Roid's would be a big help to CD, It would increase his confidence, improve his vision, allow him to recover faster from workouts, and add 10 ft or so to his FB's.

37 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

From TJ Quinn of ESPN:

IMPORTANT ON CANO: players are NOT automatically suspended for using diuretics. The suspension means MLB was able to prove he was using it to mask a drug. Cano tested positive before the season, appealed and dropped the appeal.

If this is true it's a it surprising the Mariner's didn't have a plan B at 2B going into the season. Someone like Neil Walker...

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd take Cano, shady Dominican doctors and an 80 game suspension all day every day over the Orioles ass backwards approach to stocking a farm system.  

Speaking strictly for myself here, I long ago stopped looking at athletes as a moral compass and examples of making right decisions and staying in the lines.  I assume that most of them are cheaters, knowingly or unknowingly.  As a result, I have little to no expectations from them and it doesn't phase me one bit when this stuff happens.   

I agree, the ethos found in the business of baseball is sort of the ethos of the overall economic system right now.  A microcosm of the larger societal problem.  Finding ways around, behind, over, or through the system to get what you want.  I don't blame a lot of those kids coming from poverty nations though.  Its that way out or what? (Ever seen the movie Sugar?) Moral character in the game would be great, but the only power the fan has to change that is to not go to games until it changes I suppose.  I guess that's why I started getting into college ball a little more.  

I hated the steroids era.  I had a Palmeiro poster on my wall growing up, and I had it on my wall in college when he got busted.  It was a sad day.  I couldn't even look at the Cal poster anymore without wondering.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I think most do it. The fans that think Bonds, Clemens and Palmeiro were just isolated cheaters are morons. 

A whole industry to get around testing...

You might won't to watch what you say. I might be one of those morons. 

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Davis needs to do it.  Sheesh.  

I don't think any fan thinks Bonds, Clemens, Raffy were isolated incidents.  Certainly Bonds and Clemens probably gained the most from doing it but I don't think anyone thinks it was isolated.

How big of a surprise would it be if it came out that Cal was using Peds? If I had to guess gun to head I would say no but I would spend some time thinking about it.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cano claims it's not a performance enhancing drug, yet it's banned by MLB.  I wonder what MLB thinks the advantage is of taking this stuff.  

You wonder why a guy like  Cano puts anything in or on his body that could possibly be on any MLB not approved list. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe because he was masking steroid use?

Same question...why is a guy like Cano using anything that would end up being detected?   More money?  Another contract?  Just sad that athletes get this desperate or greedy or stupid or all three. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe he wanted to win?

I was listening to an audiobook today driving home from Cooperstown where I spent this last weekend at the HOF...it was Luckiest Man, the bio of Lou Gehrig by Jonathan Eig.   He wanted to win too.   As did all of those guys in Cooperstown with plaques.  And none of these guys using PEDS will ever join any of those guys.  So...I hope it was worth it for them.  But it is hard to see how.