vs. ATHLETICS, 5/07 DH Gm.1

Sessh

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do blame the team for that, but the fans keep hanging their hat on Buck's opinion of him which Kim proves more every time he gets in the game to be very likely the wrong opinion.

It is also possible that the more Kim plays the more his flaws are exposed.

Of course the numbers will drop, but he certainly looks like he doesn't need to be in the minors.

He's not a high ceiling guy, he's getting paid to be respectable out there.

It is possible, but is there any reason at this point to assume that is the case? He has shown to be a capable hitter with a good eye and hasn't been nearly as bad defensively as we were led to believe initially. So far, it

certainly looks like Buck was wrong about Kim. I don't think we've seen even half of what he's capable of yet. Before we throw money or trade chips at a team for a corner OF'er, we should find out what Kim can do.

Of course the numbers will drop, but he certainly looks like he doesn't need to be in the minors.

He's not a high ceiling guy, he's getting paid to be respectable out there.

I want to see him play more as well. My point is more about the overall issue at the corner spots.

There's just far too many players on this team that you're hoping they do something good, rather than expect it. Schoop, Joey, Caleb, Wieters, Wright, Ubaldo, Jones in his current physical state, and probably the other CO spot. It's too much to overcome on a daily basis.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• That would be cool.  Maybe you could quit your current job and be the curator.   
    • Except Soto did go around him.  Soto was on the bag and Neto backed into him.  If Neto is already there that’s a different story.   If I’m standing on 1B and the 1B comes directly on the bag to make a catch do I have to vacate the bag to avoid contact?  No.
    • In this case the infield fly rule is called before the incident occurs.  Common sense.   The base runner doesn’t make contact intentionally.  In fact it’s the fielder who initiates contact while Soto has his foot on the bag.  The “interference” has no affect on the play.  Common sense. Umps judgement.
    • It’s an interesting thread to revisit.  Sports Guy wasn’t a fan:  “A few days later and I’m still scratching my head at this move.  I just don’t get it.” Then: “It is a head scratcher because the return doesn’t justify the trade.  Elias seems to think it is but I think that’s wrong and, more importantly, it’s because I feel he is value building a farm system today over winning today.  I think that’s wrong too.” Lots of other interesting posts.  
    • People are looking way too far into this. The runner can see where everything and make a decision to go around. He decided not to and was called out. I understand that he has a right to the bag but the baseline is also 3 feet each way to go around the fielder. The umpires normally give you more discretion to go around as well. Same if it was a ground ball to Gunnar at Shortstop. The runner can run in front and behind him. 
    • They're separate calls on the same play. Interference is called when it happens because the ball is dead when it is called. They're not going to wait until the play is over to call it. Saying all of that, I do think more judgement needs to be part of the equation. I've seen a situation in a game where there's a slow groundball to the second baseman, they charge the ball and it's clear they're likely not going to get an out, so they take a step or 2 backwards to force the runner going from first to second to run into them, causing interference. We used to teach the SS to stop in front of the runner if they're close to them to get the interference call so that the lead runner gets out.
    • What about the validity of the stats themselves?  Stuff I have read questions that. Where are you with that?
  • Popular Contributors