John Angelos: Manny Extension, Succession Plan (With Part 2 Update on Orioles)

weams

http://bmoshow.com/

Right Here

John spoke out passionately at the time of the unrest in Baltimore a year ago, the guys wanted to pay respect to our city, so who better to reflect with. Plus, how much closer to the heart of the ball club can you get? Hear John share his in depth opinions on Bmore, national social issues, and the O?s future. Part one of two

Rep for a transcription.

I started to transcribe, but then realized that they were going to talk strictly about the socioeconomic situations in and around Baltimore, and not about Manny Machado.

If you give us a heads-up when he will be talking more about Manny Machado and baseball, I'll give it a try.

I started to transcribe, but then realized that they were going to talk strictly about the socioeconomic situations in and around Baltimore, and not about Manny Machado.

If you give me a heads-up when he will be talking about Manny Machado and baseball, I'll give it a try.

Will do. Thanks.

I don't often post here but check in quite a bit to see what people are posting and thinking regarding the O's. I have posted one thread and that was about a year ago after hearing John Angelos respond to the Freddie Gray incident. Sports aside for a moment, I think John is a genuinely good man and like the fact that he is telling it like it is. So thanks again to John Angelos for making it real.

I brought this up when he made these comments last year. Hope this was his father who treated the lower and middle class workers not so great. They almost had a hunger strike over wages in 2007. He says he is for the poor and middle class but pay your own people at Camden yards before judging everyone else.

The Baltimore Orioles are also currently under investigation, the Labor Department confirmed on Friday.

The Oakland A’s continuously review their employment practices and believe that, as a result, they are in compliance with all of their wage payment obligations,” said A’s public relations director Bob Rose in a written statement. An Orioles spokesman said the club is “aware of an ongoing investigation, but we don’t have any comment at this time.”

But his treatment of the stadium cleanup crews a decade ago put that image to shame. Angelos was using mostly homeless men to do the work at the time. Some were paid hourly, some were paid a flat $30 fee no matter how long the job took. All would have to show up by 9 p.m. on game nights to get the gig, but the hourly employees wouldn’t be on the clock until after the last pitch, even in cases where rain delays or extra innings kept games going past midnight, and nobody got overtime or benefits. In 2005, one of the homeless workers, James Riddick, told me supervisors routinely docked two hours pay from any hourly member of the cleanup crew caught taking a bathroom break.

A local labor organizing group, United Workers Association, took up the cause of the homeless laborers. Garnering a living wage was the top goal. They tried to get Angelos to help remove an exemption to state law that allowed the owner to pay Camden Yards workers a minimum wage that was several dollars per hour less than all other employees working on state and city contracts. UWA lawyer Peter Sabonis told me at the time that Angelos had personally agreed to make sure the workers got a living wage in exchange for a pledge not to hold demonstrations at the stadium and publicly label him anti-labor.

“We held up our end,” Sabonis said. The owner reneged.

Eventually, the UWA found success, but only by giving up trying to work with the Orioles owner. “We got a living wage for the workers, but not because of the Orioles,” recalls Todd Cherkis, a longtime UWA organizer. “We worked with the Stadium Authority, then [former Maryland governor Martin] O’Malley got on board, and now the workers get paid.”

Because they are doing “day labor,” members of the UWA who show up to work are sent home if they’re not needed. The wages are so low, and the job so “flexible,” that some workers live in homeless shelters. One worker was kicked out of public housing because her pay that month couldn’t match the monthly rent.

For three years, stadium workers have been demanding to be paid Baltimore’s official living wage of $9.62 an hour. They soon could even make a claim to more: On October 1 the state’s newly passed living wage law will require state government contractors to pay their employees $11.30 an hour. Both of the city’s stadiums–Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium, where the NFL’s Baltimore Ravens play–were paid for on the public dime.

In this solidly blue state, paying stadium workers a living wage should be common sense, but it is not. The MSA contends that stadium workers are not eligible because they are temporary workers. And what makes them temporary? That they don’t have to work “away” games.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-09-05/oakland-as-will-pay-back-wages-to-interns-and-clubhouse-workers

http://deadspin.com/camden-yards-workers-screwed-over-yet-again-1704420741

http://deadspin.com/camden-yards-workers-screwed-over-yet-again-1704420741

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2007-09-04/news/0709040012_1_hunger-strikes-united-workers-stadium-authority

Archived