Evan Longoria

Frobby

I remember a few years ago looking into centerfield against Tampa and seeing a young Italian kid wearing number five and wondering if I was seeing the next DiMaggio, especially with the way he was hitting early in his career.

I Split         G   GS  PA  AB  R   H  2B 3B HR RBI  BB IBB  SO HBP  SH  SF ROE GDP  SB CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS  BAbip sOPS+ tOPS+ Split+-+------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+------------+  April/March   27  26 118 110  13  40  9  2  1  20   3   0  28   2   1   2   0   1   2  3  .364  .385  .509  .894  .470   137   140 April/March    May           26  25 112 105  14  33  3  2  2  11   6   1  17   0   0   1   0   1   5  0  .314  .348  .438  .786  .356   108   112 May          

I'll wait and see on Mr. Desperate House-husband...

I remember a few years ago looking into centerfield against Tampa and seeing a young Italian kid wearing number five and wondering if I was seeing the next DiMaggio, especially with the way he was hitting early in his career.
 I Split         G   GS  PA  AB  R   H  2B 3B HR RBI  BB IBB  SO HBP  SH  SF ROE GDP  SB CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS  BAbip sOPS+ tOPS+ Split+-+------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+------------+  April/March   27  26 118 110  13  40  9  2  1  20   3   0  28   2   1   2   0   1   2  3  .364  .385  .509  .894  .470   137   140 April/March    May           26  25 112 105  14  33  3  2  2  11   6   1  17   0   0   1   0   1   5  0  .314  .348  .438  .786  .356   108   112 May          

I'll wait and see on Mr. Desperate House-husband...

Odds are that Longoria doesn't have "mitochondrial abnormalities" that drastically shorten his career.

• 1 month later...

http://draft.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/05/the_rumor_mill.html

The Rays have narrowed their choice to either Buster Posey or Pedro Alvarez. Some I spoke to thought it might just be propoganda, so proceed carefully here. The Rays haven't said anything about cutting names from the original five. If they take Alvarez, the idea would be to move Evan Longoria to second base when the time comes, which could be right around when Mr. Iwamura's contract runs out.

This is an interesting idea. I would guess Longoria has the athleticism to be a 2nd basemen.

It'll be a great problem for TB to have. If Alvarez developed anticipated he'll be ready quickly and they'll have all kinds of great options. They could move one of them to another position, they could parlay Longoria into a quantity of quality talent in other positions of need. It really is amazing how well positioned Tampa Bay is for the future. So much talent and a new ballpark coming just in time to bump revenues up enough to allow them to keep some of it.

Longoria's awesome. Words cannot how impressed I am with him and the thing that is overlooked is his defense' date=' which has been phenomenal.

The kid looks like a young Mike Schmidt in the making.[/quote']

He's good, but Schmidt hit about .200 with 140 strikeouts in his first 400 major league PAs.

Rick Dempsey said this guy has "one of the quickest bats I have ever seen." He went on to say his bat speed is simply amazing, quicker than any Oriole. From what I have seen, Dempsey appears to be spot on.

Seems the Rays scouting department has done a superb job recently to spot this kind of talent, which is a huge reason why they have gone from worst to one of the best in the AL East.

Rick Dempsey said this guy has "one of the quickest bats I have ever seen." He went on to say his bat speed is simply amazing, quicker than any Oriole. From what I have seen, Dempsey appears to be spot on.

Seems the Rays scouting department has done a superb job recently to spot this kind of talent, which is a huge reason why they have gone from worst to one of the best in the AL East.

It helps when your picking in the top 10 for so many years.

It helps when your picking in the top 10 for so many years.

Of course you are correct. Then again, the Orioles have picked in the top 10 in 6 of the last 7 drafts.

It also helps to get lucky/good in later rounds too. On their current roster Gomes was an 18th rounder, Shields a 16th, Sonnanstine 13th, for examples.

Exactly - he's got unbelievable bat speed. I was flabergasted the first time I saw him. If he makes consistent contact, there's no telling how good a hitter he's going to become.

He may be great at 3B, but if he can play decent SS, his value is higher. Plus, he's on my fantasy team and I'd love to put him at SS. :P

Archived