Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

Is it a given that TJ surgery is the answer? This (the flexor mass thing) has become a fairly frequent diagnosis for pitchers but is TJ a common outcome?
I believe the Orioles are following Dr. Andrew's recommendations. I won't/can't blame them for that.
This. I am surprised nobody mentioned this. Isn't he doing what Andrews said???

You mean major reconstructive surgery on a body part that has lots of money leveraged on it is not the obvious response to a sore elbow?

My Google knowledge of the topic is that diagnosing discomfort in that area for a pitcher is not easy peasy, and there are lots of pitchers who rested (e.g. Andrew Miller) and came back fine....because the issue was muscle related. I think until you see a clear sign that the tendon is gone, you hope.

You mean major reconstructive surgery on a body part that has lots of money leveraged on it is not the obvious response to a sore elbow?

My Google knowledge of the topic is that diagnosing discomfort in that area for a pitcher is not easy peasy, and there are lots of pitchers who rested (e.g. Andrew Miller) and came back fine....because the issue was muscle related. I think until you see a clear sign that the tendon is gone, you hope.

The bad thing about Harvey though is that is elbow should have healed when he missed all that time for the non elbow related injuries. He's had some freak injuries since 2012 if I remember right;

2012- oblique injury while doing leg warmups?

A liner that broke his leg in ST

His groin injury this year.

I think this was all him. So he could have hurt it awhile ago and just was never healthy enough to actually throw off a mound and see if he needed TJ.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone survived two visits to Dr Andrews without having TJ surgery

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hunter Harvey will have elbow examined by Dr Andrews. That's all I've got for update <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">July 18, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Has anyone survived two visits to Dr Andrews without having TJ surgery

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hunter Harvey will have elbow examined by Dr Andrews. That's all I've got for update <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">July 18, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No. He is definitely going to have TJ.

I often wonder have these not gone well? I mean has Andrews done TJ on someone's junk by accident?

Although generally a well tolerated procedure as surgeries go, make no mistake. This is major surgery and there have been occasional disasters. But, the ultimate question is the rehab and return to function. The best studies have identified about 80 percent of major league pitchers who undergo TJ surgery return to their prior level of functioning (i.e. at a major league level).

https://sciencelife.uchospitals.edu/2014/03/04/do-major-league-pitchers-throw-as-hard-after-tommy-john-surgery/

Although generally a well tolerated procedure as surgeries go, make no mistake. This is major surgery and there have been occasional disasters. But, the ultimate question is the rehab and return to function. The best studies have identified about 80 percent of major league pitchers who undergo TJ surgery return to their prior level of functioning (i.e. at a major league level).

https://sciencelife.uchospitals.edu/2014/03/04/do-major-league-pitchers-throw-as-hard-after-tommy-john-surgery/

Dr Andrews is world renowned as one of the best at this, and I suspect has a higher than 80% return to prior level of functioning.